My latest 127 Mak M27 attempt

JamesF

I had all sorts of problems last night with alignment, but eventually settled down and captured a smidge under 70 minutes in total of RGB for this, in 45 second exposures. I think it needs longer exposures now, which means I need better polar alignment and guiding. I'm working on that.

m27-2013-08-13-small.png

James

I think you did good. You good good yellow in the surrounding stars, but I'd like some more blue in the others if I can chose to be picky. At first I was going to say focus, but I think its a result of high focal length, not bad focus. All in all cracking job!

It's possible there's a problem with focus. I struggled with alignment last night and messed about a fair bit after I'd focused the scope using a Bahtinov mask. I may well have disturbed it in the process, but I didn't remember that I should have checked it again until I was in bed at 3am :)

I pushed the blue up as far as I dared. Any more made the core too blue for my taste. I think I prefer it more towards cyan in colour.

James

Yeah focus can be a pain, the hardcore guys in the club all use a motor focus controlled by Maxim DL to automaticly achieve best focus by taking a series of test exposures. Not there myself yet, even if I plan on adding that functionality as soon as I have my powertank and laptop connection up and running.

Archived