Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Laptop power thru a 1202 12v power supply

Greetings SGL

Anyone got any experience in running their imaging/guiding laptops over something like this?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/productsearch?criteria=laptop+12v

I have been running in circles thinking about power inverters and DIY laptop batteries.

Since my laptop came with a 90w supply, shouldnt this gizmo really solve my problem if i make reality of my plan for a 60Ah+ lesiure battery box?

Yes - that is the way to go. Just make sure that you get the correct adapter for your particular lappy (voltages vary) and that it provides anough Amps (Watts really - you will find the rating on your laptop mains adapter). Mine was sold as an "in car charger" and was specifically for my laptop. Works well from the battery. Don't bother with inverters etc - they are not very efficient and there is no point in converting up to 240v just to reduce it again to 18v or whatever your lappy is? Hope this helps.

One tip not to waste power is to pull the battery if you can. No charging involved then, just use.

Dave.

edit !!! pull the battery from your laptop so that it doesn't use the leisure battery to recharge I meant !

Tried mine out at home but not in the field. Got a good 100Ah battery though just to be sure :D Just the trick if you cant get an EHU pitch for star parties and as Dave says you only need to charge your laptop battery there is no need to run it from battery

I would go for 80+Ah. When running there is a rule of thumb that you should not use more than 50% of the available energy from the battery ie don't run it flat! They are a little more expensive but well worth it. Also get a decent chsrger/conditioner which will keep your battery topped up. You can leave it plugged in permanently so it is always ready for use.

Archived