Narrowband

Laser Eye Surgery

Fay

Hi, has anyone had laser eye surgery? does it impair night vision, or make looking through a scope difficult?

My eyes are getting bad, but i cant put contact len's in. i have tried a few times but am no good at it!

Thanks,

Fay

My other half has and his night vision is excellent. However, because his eyesight was so bad to start with, he now needs reading glasses (his glasses were for distance before) so I would go for a consultation to see if you will affected in a similar way.

It was a long recovery too.... His eyesight was fine after a day or two, but he said the 'grittiness' in his eyes for weeks for very irritating, especially as you can't rub your eyes... You just have to use the eye drops they give you.

And the op itself isn't for the faint-hearted... One of the reasons I can't get my eyes done is because you are awake when they do it... I'm so squeamish that there is no way I could sit through it!

I haven't had my eyes done, but find that I can't wear contact lenses on viewing nights anyway. It gives me really blurry vision (which I don't get when just wearing contact lenses for everyday use)... I'm better off sticking to a glasses when looking at the sky/ no glasses at the eyepiece combo.

good luck if you do decide to go ahead though! My other half said he wished he'd had it done years ago!

I had mine done in November 2009, absolutely great and wish I'd had it done years ago. You do need a stable prescription for a while though, and sadly I think that my right eye is starting to change a little. You are awake throughout, but it doesn't hurt, more discomfort. My eyes almost closed after about an hour, so I went to bed on their advice and rested. About 4 hours later I could see perfectly well and it all felt fine. The frog goggles that you are given to sleep in for a week are far from sexy!!!

I remember so clearly the first morning I woke up and realised that I could see the birds on the roof from my bed - Absolutely fantastic!! I'm glad I had it done, although I used to wear contacts for work and glasses the rest of the time. If I do need glasses again, I won't be too bothered as they never really bothered me that much.

I had laser eye treatment for shortsightedness about 12 years ago now. It has enabled me to do without glasses but my eyes are still changing and I may have to go back to them in the future, My eyesight was really terrible but if I ever do wear glasses again at least they wont be so thick!

By the way because the cornea is cut open and then re-sealed there is a chance that the healed part could make certain lights look hazy. I have had a little experience of this with traffic lights, for instance but as for viewing stars no problem. Not regretting having the op done.

I had mine done about 10 years ago now. Bright lights at night had spikes coming off of them like diffraction spikes in a reflector.

Difficult to say if I still get this as bad as when I first had them done as you tend to get used to things and not see them. In the eyepiece I often see little spikes coming off of stars but if I move my head a little they go so I put that down to the scope/eyepiece optics rather than my eyes.

I saw the ISS go overhead the other night and that was very bright, around -5, and it had numerous spikes coming off of it using naked eye vision only (both eyes as well). I really couldn't say if this is related to my eyes because or surgery 10 years ago or if its just what eyes do, its been so long I forgot. I've also been on a course of steroids for 3 months and that effects my vision too, my doctor said not to go to an opticians while on them as it'll give a false result.

My wife had hers done about 5 years ago, best thing she has ever done and very much worth the thousands it cost(don't fall the buy one get one free £500 adverts)

i now joke she has vision superman would kill for. She can read tiny print on signs from 50 paces, I have never worn glasses and have top notch vision and I struggle to see that there is even tiny writing on the sign.

(don't fall the buy one get one free £500 adverts)

Couldn't agree more! You only get one set of eyes!

OH went to Optimax, cost £3k in total, but 0% interest free credit and payments of £80 per month. It's not worthy the risk of going to a cheaper shoddier outfit... Just think how much your astronomy stuff costs... Don't spend less for your eyes! :p

Archived