White light after the meteors - 13/08/2013

Luke

An early morning start for me after hunting meteors last night with the missus :laugh:

gallery_2875_2627_121669.jpg

I had limited time so used my undriven setup and smaller scope. I thought I'd give my glass path corrector from my binoviewer a go to try and barlow the image a bit.

I was expecting I'd need two tiles, but the sun fitted on in one go! :smiley: I had to rotate the wedge to get the sun moving cleanly left and right with not a lot of up and down over the image, which wasn't too tricky...

I think the GPC was not barlowing at full strength, as the binoviewer has a longer light path than with the webcam?

---

13/08/2013

ED80 / Baader Herschel Wedge / Grasshopper 3 (ICX687)

Thanks, guys. Oooh, that is interesting comparing with Roger's shot later in the day, nice one, James :cool:

Robin, we were just hunting them visually, we must have seen well over a hundred :laugh: As I suspected would happen, I missed an impressive one that Sarah saw. :Envy:

Wow! that is a lot of meteors, how long were you observing? I saw 7 once when I looked for an hour at the peak, it wasn't really worth getting up at 3am for so I haven't bothered since. A super Sun though :)

Alexandra

Wow! that is a lot of meteors, how long were you observing? I saw 7 once when I looked for an hour at the peak, it wasn't really worth getting up at 3am for so I haven't bothered since.

This was the best meteor shower I've seen in the last two or three years at least. At times I was seeing several a minute and I saw quite a few with trails that were brightly coloured or very long or wide. And there was no need to stay up until 3am, either.

James

Wow! that is a lot of meteors, how long were you observing? I saw 7 once when I looked for an hour at the peak, it wasn't really worth getting up at 3am for so I haven't bothered since.

Alexandra

We were out for about three hours, I guess. I think you missed an opportunity here to train your hubby. I was left with instructions to wake the boss at 1am if the meteors were suitably impressive...

No sooner did Sarah pop outside, and there were about five meteors in the first two minutes :)

It was a very enjoyable night, and some sun in the morning was a big plus :)

Archived