SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Telrad for Dob

I should have mentioned Telrad accessories , I have a right angle finder and to me locating Messier objects is quite a handful vs the red dot finder on my smaller reflector. I noticed different spacers and dew control items that got me curious.

Definite must have is a dew shield or heater for the Telrad - mine dews up in 0 seconds flat without the heater (well before I have issues with the optics or standard finder). There's quite a good thread and pattern for making a dew shield up from black foam sheet - quick search on the forum should turn this up.

The telrad certainly helps with getting you into the right ball park, but for homing in on the faint fuzzies you'll still be switching over to the regular finder. Brighter stuff is ok and I can still pick out M13 and a few of the other globs using the telrad on a dark night.

A setting circle and a Wixey angle gauge used with stellarium .

A Wixey is great for finding objects. If you have a setting circle even better. But if no circles, a Telrad will get you close and as long as you have the correct alt angle, you should find what you're looking for. Definitely great for the faint objects, and even the not so faint

Barry

A setting circle and a Wixey angle gauge used with stellarium .

A Wixey is great for finding objects. If you have a setting circle even better. But if no circles, a Telrad will get you close and as long as you have the correct alt angle, you should find what you're looking for. Definitely great for the faint objects, and even the not so faint

Barry

I made the Telrad dewshield as per instructions last year, but still found it misted up, and eventually resorted to a hair drier. It occurs to me that a scope dewshield extends quite away past the end of the tube, perhaps the Telrad shield would be better a bit longer.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

I can't help suggesting that an eyepiece with a wide field of view will be your best partner for a telrad. I use a Rigel Quikfinder (which works like a Telrad, but is smaller) with a Skywatcher Panaview 32mm giving me a 1.8 degree field of view on my 200p dob. This lets me find most targets first time- I then switch to higher magification if necessary.

I did this for my Telrad. yet to see if it works over a winter but even if it does dew up, I can just take it out and swap it for the warm spare in my pocket. I much prefer using the Telrad without a dew shield if I can. don't bother with the right angle Telrad mirror.

I found a Telrad and right angle finder (as well as a good map and my 'patented' circular cutouts ) transformed my ability to find things.

I use my own home made observing chair, it's rough but works so well I have not got around to making the proper one since I built this prototype about two years ago! (in fact I see it's almost four years ago!)

I have also started using a green torch as this seems to affect night vision just as little as red light but for some reason allows me to read maps a little more easily. I cut circles out of plastic semi skimmed and skimmed milk bottles and replace the clear one in the torch.

I'd get a collimating eyepiece, as my 200P dob was delivered with poorly aligned mirrors. Using the collimator to line everything up properly made a huge difference to the performance of the scope. I have an Orion collimator which came with reasonably clear instructions and the procedure soon becomes second nature.

Archived