Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First (real) Deep sky attempt.

This is my first real attempt at Deep sky with my Advanced VX mount that I got last week. I say "first real" because the first night I got it, I stuck my scope and camera on it and took a couple of images of m31 while figuring out how to operate it.

Last night I figured out how to align the mount (somewhat) so I decided to take a few snaps. These are taken with a Travel scope 70 and cannon 1000D.

Double Cluster: 20 X 75s subs, 20 darks.

post-24036-0-97396400-1376245721_thumb.j

M31 20 X75s subs, 20 darks

post-24036-0-38412200-1376246099_thumb.p

Pretty happy with them for a first go. I should have kept the subs at only 60s as there is some trailing. I need to practices aligning the mount.

P.S.

I want a new Refractor now. :smiley:

Thanks all, the scope I am using leaves a lot to be desired with it sloppy focus and bad CA, but its something to practice and learn with. I tried getting more detail out of m31 ( there is a little more there) but when I do I get a really bad gradient and I cannot remove it without clipping a lot of my data. I'm going to start reading and watching some processing tutorials in my spare time. Any recommendations?

Thanks all, the scope I am using leaves a lot to be desired with it sloppy focus and bad CA, but its something to practice and learn with. I tried getting more detail out of m31 ( there is a little more there) but when I do I get a really bad gradient and I cannot remove it without clipping a lot of my data. I'm going to start reading and watching some processing tutorials in my spare time. Any recommendations?

What applications do you use?

There is a trick to teasing out really much stuff in DSS that I've managed to get a lot more detail from a handful of 30sec subs of M31, cant really describe it now but it's about playing alot with the histogram. I also try and use this process for gradient removal:

We'll I had another couple goes at processing and I couldn't really seem to get it to look any better. I'm gonna leave it as is and move on. Maybe if I keep getting cloud I will try again in the future. I could upload the original stacked .tiff file if any body else would like to have a play.

Thanks, that helped!. I managed to get some more detail but now the stars look unnatural to me.

post-24036-0-45701500-1376350703_thumb.p

I'm gonna have another go and start from original stacked image later.

Hi,

Your stars look elongated more so in the upper left corner than lower right this means problem with tracking~ guiding and possibly a rotated focal plane as well.

Hope you can sort it out.

A.G

Really good first attempt. I'm seriously considering buying the Advanced VX, sofar I've imaged with my EQ3-2 mount and it's time for something new and sturdier.

What is your first impressions of the mount?

Well this is my first ever EQ mount so I can't really give a good comparison. Its seems well built and sturdy, all metal except for the motor housings and adjustment bolt handles. Its pretty quite when slewing and I can't even hear it when it's just tracking unless my head its close to the motor. The handset and its menus are pretty straight forward and easy to follow. For the price I think its really good mount . Though it only comes with a 12V DC cig power adapter so I had to buy another adapter for use in my backyard. Also the latitude adjustment scale on my mount is off by 2 degrees. I'm gonna mount my 8 inch newt on it this evening for a quick test.

Archived