Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

QHY5 Driver Installation Problems

Peter_A

Hi All,

Sorry to post yet more boring problems with QHY5 software but I really am at a loss as to why I can't install the drivers for my QHY5 on a Windows XP laptop. I don't belive it is a hardware incompatibility problem because I was using this laptop and guide camera combination last season quite happily.

Typicaly I do a disk format followed by a fresh install of WindowsXP_Pro 32bit, patch to SP3, install .Net Framework 3.5 SP1, install MS Updates. All seems to go perfectly up to that point so then I follow the Quickstart Driver Installation Guide from Modern Astronomy to the letter, installing ASCOM 6 SP2 and the latest QHY5 drivers but when I come to plug in the QHY5 itself I get the errors in the attached screenshots.

Any ideas as to what I might try to fix this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete.

post-22621-0-77401500-1376241529_thumb.j

post-22621-0-21618000-1376241544_thumb.j

Try:

Close all open programs, re-boot the computer.

Open the command line tool, click "Start", Click "Run" in the text box next to the word "open" type the word: [ command ], (no spaces or special characters, just the word) and click OK.

A command line tool window will open.

At the blinking cursor type the following command: sfc /scannow that is the letters sfc...space...forward-slash...no space and then all one word scannow... then hit the return key.

This will start a Windows file checker utility which will go through the windows operating system and check for corrupted or missing files.

It will then either replace faulty copies or install missing ones.

The program can take an hour or more to run.

At the end of the process re-boot the pc and try uninstall and re-install of the QHY5 software, make sure you are loading the driver as an administrator, been caught out a few times in the past with Windows Xp PRO not logging you in as an administrator after the SP3 patch but logging you in as guest, check your account settings under users in the control panel and update user privileges if necessary.

Here are a couple of links that may be of help:

http://pcsupport.abo...de-37-error.htm

http://pcsupport.abo...ile-checker.htm

William.

William,

I tried your suggestion to run the scan, which seemed to go well, although I didn't notice any message to say that it had copied any files from the XP install disk. Unfortuntely no joy after uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, I got the same error message as in the second of my images above. I am a little unsure as to whether I fully uninstalled the drivers or not, I used both the control panel Add/Remove Programs and the utility on the Modern Astronomy CD to do this.

Anyway, thanks for your tip about the scan utility I was not aware of that before and will keep a note of it for future reference. I havn't had time yet to check the links you suggested.

Pete.

Hi Pete,

The problem is most likely then a corrupt Windows registry entry, unfortunately uninstalling the driver program by the install/uninstall routine on the driver disk or the windows uninstall tool in the control panel does not remove the registry entries.

There is one last approach you could try since you have nothing to lose..

Use the uninstall tool in the control panel to completely remove the QHY drivers.

Download the free registry cleaner program EasyPC from CNET UK at this link:

http://downloads.cne...-free-40077949/

Run the registry cleaner program.

Now go to the QHY drivers download page and download the QHY5 driver (and update file, if applicable for your camera), ASCOM, QGVIDEO and native WDM drivers.

Make sure you pick the correct version of QHY5, there are three to chose from QHY5...QHY5V.....QHY5T

Install all the downloaded files and re-boot the PC before trying to connect the camera again.

Here is the link to the QHY driver page:

http://qhyccd.com/en/top/download/

If all is fixed then finish the PC rebuild and download/install a free copy of PARAGON backup and restore at this site:

http://www.paragon-s...m/home/br-free/

This is what I use to make an image backup of the complete working PC to an external USB drive (or DVD disk).

When it is time to carry out a clean Windows install you just pop in the recovery disk, connect the external USB drive and restore the whole PC to how it was at that moment in time, so much easier than reloading everything from scratch!

Let us know how you get on...

William.

William,

thanks again, I'll try your latest suggestions. I didn't load any motherboard drivers because I used the recovery disks that were supplied with my laptop, there are two CDs with Windows XP files on them and a CD with all the drivers, the whole recovery process is automatic including loading drivers. I have been loading the QHY driver update but don't know whether I need WDM driver, I didn't have that loaded last season when things were working okay.

btw I checked that I was logged in with admin rights.

I have a confession to make as well, I have managed to occasionally load the drivers successfully using an unlicensed copy of Windows XP Pro on my laptop but I really want to use the licensed copy that was supplied with the laptop and that is what I am having trouble with.

Pete.

Hi Pete,

That CNET link I posted to EasyPC has been down all day, I tried to find a copy elsewhere but just found a load of spam.

Here is another free registry cleaner that I have used many times called CCleaner, it works just as well although you have to run it two or three times for it to pick up all the duff registry errors.

The only issue I have had in the past with CCleaner is it can be a little to efficient and remove registry entries for some programs that I still had loaded on the PC, it's easy enough though to reload any programs that may refuse to operate if CCleaner has unloaded the registry values.

Here is a link to Piriform's CCleaner at CNET, if you do load it be aware to un-tick the toolbar installation option in the setup screen or you end up with multiple Google search bars in the web browser.

http://downloads.cne...eaner-39186386/

The issue of using your unlicensed copy of Windows Xp PRO is not really a problem as long as you use the Windows Xp Pro license key that came bundled with your laptop.

As far as Windows is concerned it does not matter whether you use the laptop bundled installation disk or a Windows disk from elsewhere, the license does not refer to the source disk, just the single installation of the software that you activate. You should find a copy of the original Windows licence key on the base of the laptop, or with the original documentation, that you can use to activate your stand-alone version of Xp PRO.

William.

From memory you need to install the camera drivers AND the QGVideo software to fully install the camera before using it.

1, Do Not Connect the Camera to your PC yet!

2, Install ASCOM platform 6 from the CD, if not already installed

3, Run the QHY5 System Driver file (QHY5Drv.exe), then QHY5UPDATE.exe.

4, Run the QHY5 ASCOM driver file from the CD

5, Connect the QHY5 camera to a USB2 port.

6, Don't let Windows connect to the Internet to search for a driver,

7, Specify that Windows installs the driver automatically, ignore any warnings!

8, Windows will install the first (base) driver component, be patient.........

9, Install QGVideo planetary imaging software

10, Start - then close QGVideo when it can’t connect. This initiates the 2nd driver

component installation. Install the 2nd (IO) driver component, answer as before

11, Install the latest PHD Guiding software - if not already installed

12, If you use a different USB2 port later on you may need to re-install the system driver.

Kev,

Thanks for your message, that is the installation procedure I am following and my problems happen at stage 5.

William,

I havn't had time to try the reg cleaner yet, I will as soon as I can.

Re. the unlicensed copy of windows, it is XP Pro but a slightly different build compared to the XP Pro that was supplied with my laptop and the licence number stuck to the bottom of my laptop is incompatible with it.

I appreciate all the help offered in this thread, thanks.

Pete.

I uninstalled the drivers and ran ccleaner William, still no joy, I even treated this undeserving laptop to a RAM upgrade. I think I'm wasting my time and yours. Maybe I'll try my other laptop. I wanted to use this one because it is smaller and I believe draws less juice from my remote site batteries.

Thanks for your help, you have given me some tips which I will no doubt use in the future when I have other problems.

Pete.

Hi Pete,

Sorry you're no further forward, I will make this last suggestion and call it quits.

Error 37 on new hardware driver installation can also be caused by the driver for another piece of hardware on the laptop sharing the same memory space, hence the vague message from windows saying "the memory could not be read" this is because the other device is currently using it and it is locked.

You said that when you load Windows from the standard Windows disk then the QHY drivers install ok but when you use the laptop recovery disk then the QHY drivers fail.

So I'm thinking there is a piece of hardware on the laptop that you didn't manually load the drivers for when you did the standard Windows installation last time.

Possibly a built in camera, memory card reader, sound card, bluetooth controller, firewire controller, eSata controller, IEEE1394 etc..

The commonest error 37 cause by far is DVD/CD drivers, cameras and sound cards.

Have a think if that might ring any bells?

The way I would proceed with fault finding is to go into the "Control Panel", select "System", click on the "Hardware" tab, click "Device Manager" then expand each of the device classes and right click any device that is not essential to the operation of the laptop and then click "Disable".

The quickest way forward is to disable everything non-essential, re-boot the laptop, then try the QHY camera driver install again. If it now works you can then re-enable each disabled device one at a time until the QHY camera stops working or another error message pops up, this will point to the likely culprit and you can leave it permanently disabled or try to find a newer version of the driver that will not affect the QHY camera.

Best of luck anyway...post back if you do find the cause, it might just help someone else.

William.

William,

I will have a go at the drivers, that is one of the major differences between installing the unlicenced copy of XP and the one that came with my laptop. The laptop recovery process installs XP and all the drivers automatically whereas the other method requires installing all the drivers individually. If I have any success I'll post about it.

btw my laptop (ASUS W5A) does have a built in web cam, DVD drive and sound.

Pete.

Archived