Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn - Back in Time Using a Barlow Trick

Michael_E

Hi Everyone

Here is my image of Saturn from 2nd June 2013 using my Nexstar 6SE and SPC900 webcam.

Now I know I am posting this a little late, but due to health reasons, i was not well enough to process the image until now.

I am new to this hobby so learning all the time, but I did a little experiment which I am sure everyone knows, but incase you dont, here is what I found. I have a 2x Barlow. The lens unscrews at the bottom and gave me an idea to make the magnification greater without buying extra equipment. What I did was screw the lens onto the front of my star diagonal, and then place the barlow tube on the other end, to increase the distance between the two.

And hay presto I managed to get a bigger image. I don't think it is quite 3x but maybe somewhere between 2.5x and 3x zoom. Not exactly sure how I can work it out.

I found the image was very dim. Below shows 1 frame from the AVI I took. Poor quality isn't it.

VideoImageBeforeStacking.jpg

My webcam (SPC900) was open on full exposure.

After running the 5 minute AVI @10fps through Registax 6, used 75% of best images and used the wavelets in there.

I managed to produce an image below which I was very happy with.

SaturnOrientatedColourCroppedJunecentre3x02_06_201323_28_16.jpg

I have pictured below an example of an image taken with a 2x barlow a week earlier and an image using my Barlow Trick. Works well I think. :smiley:

BarlowTrickExample.jpg

Thank you for looking. :icon_cool:

When using my SPC900 I used to use a 2.5x Revelation barlow with a Skywatcher kit barlow from which I had removed the lenses in the back of the Revelation barlow to achieve the same effect. I don't use the diagonal when imaging.

James

Wow! Massive difference...brilliant!

Thanks Emadmoussa

When using my SPC900 I used to use a 2.5x Revelation barlow with a Skywatcher kit barlow from which I had removed the lenses in the back of the Revelation barlow to achieve the same effect. I don't use the diagonal when imaging.

James

Yep that method is a good way. Probably would make the image a little brighter too?

I normally image without the star diagonal too but with the equipment I had this was the best way I could do it. And hopefully it might give someone else starting up with similar equipment a quick way to boost there magnification until better equipment is purchased.

But I was pleased with the image I made especially after seeing how bad the avi footage was. :)

That's a nice capture & a good tip. As you say people starting out don't always have the funds available to immediately purchase new equipment, so modifying what you already have or using it in a new way to get better images is always a winner.

That's a nice capture & a good tip. As you say people starting out don't always have the funds available to immediately purchase new equipment, so modifying what you already have or using it in a new way to get better images is always a winner.

Hiya Bryan

Thanks for the kind compliment. I was pleased with how it turned out in the end.

When I started out a few months ago, everyone here have been very helpful towards me and so willing to share their knowledge, so I feel it's only right to do the same. It maybe very basic information I am providing at the moment, but lets hope someone finds this helpful. :smiley:

Awesome!

Thanks Schorhr.

Nice work!

Thanks Knobby for the compliment.

1376355731[/url'>' post='2013768']

A very nice effort for a small scope.....barlow amplification can be worked out using the TeleVue graphs as a general indicator...the focal length can be calculated from measuring the image scale but these graphs provide a quick and reasonably accurate appraisal: http://www.televue.c...d=52&Tab=_photo

Thanks Kokatha. :)

I never knew there would be a graph to work out the magnification. Thanks for the link. I will measure up the distance when I get the scope out again and see exactly what magnification I achieved.

1376471864' post='2014952']

Stunning shot

Thanks for the compliment Andymod. :)

Archived