sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_4.gif.6a323659519d12fc7cafc409440c9dbf.gif

M8 Lagoon Nebula - a promising start

Hello!

We had the clearest night so far this year, and combined with the fact that most are on holiday, the smog level is at its lowest here in the city.

A quick Lagoon pulled out far more than I expected. Fingers crossed I can add more data so refine the structures and bring the noise down. The framing may be a bit off. I had some hopes of catching the dust bottom left - but naa..not that lucky.

92 minutes with the reduced SW120.

Thanks for looking!

/Jesper

gallery_16323_2313_2505901.png

• Like 6

Thanks guys! I captured some more and this stands at 3 hours 16 minutes. I'm not too sure where this is heading, but I wanted to tone down the general redness of the image. A bit of everything went into processing, apart from noise reduction which I try to avoid since I can never make that look right.

/Jesper

gallery_16323_1516_2157241.png

Much better on the second process. Perhaps you could push it further with the use of a layer mask? Or perhaps process as LLRGB to get a grip on the noise while pushing for the outer fluff.

Perhaps you could push it further with the use of a layer mask? Or perhaps process as LLRGB

I did a mask on the 'core' and have that a HDR layer blended in at 50% - the central stars had to be resalvaged from the mess that followed :grin: ...

Do you mean create a fake lum layer and work from there?

I've seen some writeups on LLRGB but thought that was reserved for the mono community.

Thanks for all you input! :smiley:

/Jesper

LLRGB is a method created for DSLR owners, all you need to do is monoise a part processed RGB image - then develop that one to its maximum potential, putting all the effort of sharpening and selective NR into it. After thats done, it leaves you with room to tinker with the colour balance, saturation and colour NR without wrecking the detail in your luminance master.

Ive got an LLRGB image of M42 knocking around on the PC somewhere, I'll upload it later.

Edited by Uranium235

Well, it sure seems to work! That's a very detailed M42.

Hmm, food for though but I don't think I can pull something like that off at first go...

I'll give it a bash tho. Thanks for the input! Nice stream btw, the Cone especially caught my eye. Impressive :smiley:

/Jesper