SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Snaps with the 130pds

Chris

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one James, great work :) 200mm certainly gives a lot more breathing room and it looks like a nice lens you have there.

I've only imaged M31 once before and that was at 388mm FL with my old WO66:

http://stargazerslou...pic/161413-m31/

Chris

Thank you :) I think yours is better, I have to say. The lens I used is the Canon 200mm f/2.8L which is very nice, but that was on top of my unguided EQ3-2 with after-market motors, so I was a little limited there in terms of exposure length.

I'd quite like to have a go at M31 with a 300mm lens on a DSLR, but I don't think I could justify the cost of the glass. I might instead make an adaptor so I can put the 200mm lens on my 314L+ with a filter wheel.

James

I suspected you had some L-glass there James :) very nice glass and not cheap either hey so I bet a 300mm would be big bucks! I think they might sell adaptors for connecting CCDs to lenses? although if I remember rightly you are a fellow turner and have a mini lathe so it would make for a nice little project :)

Chris

I think they might sell adaptors for connecting CCDs to lenses? although if I remember rightly you are a fellow turner and have a mini lathe so it would make for a nice little project :)

There are some for sale, but they're stupendously expensive for what they are, and only suit the thinnest of filter wheels so yes, I decided making my own is probably the way forward :)

James

Thanks Mark :) I think you're right, this scope is crying out for M31 with its 650mm focal length at f/5, there is everychance of me pointing it that way :D

I'm going to be the little devil on your shoulder by saying I think it would kick bottom on your eq5 with how light and compact it is, also the focal length is lovely for us non guided folk :) The focuser is lovely as well, can't believe the whole package cost 165 and comes with a 2" Kelner EP which is great as a finder EP :)

Chris

Your tempting me it would rock on my eq5 and it looks a very tasty scope your in Ipswich aren't you chris? If so I may have to pay you a visit

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I still fancy one of these - on top of being a lovely little imaging scope (with a suitable coma corrector), it'll be a cracking little grab and go for visual. I'd love to see one on the Heritage 130P dob mount.

Your tempting me it would rock on my eq5 and it looks a very tasty scope your in Ipswich aren't you chris? If so I may have to pay you a visit

Hey Mark, yeah still in Ipswich, the door will be open and kettle on if you want to visit :), Can't do the next two weekends though as I've got 2x12 hour shifts in A&E :( do you still have my address? I think I PM'd it to you a long time ago now.

Chris

I still fancy one of these - on top of being a lovely little imaging scope (with a suitable coma corrector), it'll be a cracking little grab and go for visual. I'd love to see one on the Heritage 130P dob mount.

Go for it you know you want too :D

Hey Mark, yeah still in Ipswich, the door will be open and kettle on if you want to visit :), Can't do the next two weekends though as I've got 2x12 hour shifts in A&E :( do you still have my address? I think I PM'd it to you a long time ago now.

Chris

Hi Chris no sorry its lost in my email box somewhere Im away this weekend but will arrange a trip up there to visit you and have a look at this little imaging scope it sounds great, be nice to have natter with you and my sister lives in ipswich so I could make it a double visit trip pm me your address again and I will arrange to come and see you in a couple of weeks time.

Thanks :) Which scope are you thinking of getting, I've owned about 20 different scopes so I might beable to advice :)

I juat started a thread in the advice section lol.... am looking at getting a skywatcher 150pds with eq5 goto mount...

Both the 150pds and the 130pds are great scopes I've owned both :) I would say if you want a scope for both visual and imaging then go for the 150pds because of the extra little bit of aperture, but if you want something for pure imaging then go for the 130pds and spend the extra money on a coma corrector. The 130pds will handle slightly better in terms of tracking in that is has a slightly shorter focal length, its lighter still, and even less of a wind sail. Both great choices though and as for the mount, just buy the best you can possibly affored. It might be worth going for the 130pds so you can put the money saved towards an HEQ5 Pro. I started off with an eq5 and the jump to HEQ5 was sooo worth it. I now have my 130pds sitting on an NEQ6! :D

hth

Chris

I modded my 1100D the other day by removing the rear filter to increase sensitivity to H-Alpha, here is a quick 20 x 60 seconds on the Crescent for comparison with my previous Crescent, I think it shows more of the red stuff even though the exposures were even shorter:

post-16129-0-97050500-1376606198_thumb.p

I modded my 1100D the other day by removing the rear filter to increase sensitivity to H-Alpha, here is a quick 20 x 60 seconds on the Crescent for comparison with my previous Crescent, I think it shows more of the red stuff even though the exposures were even shorter:

Much better a big difference in the ha

You have a 6 :rolleyes: I am jealous mate I dreamed of owning one once but that's as far as I got :D

Well I tell you what, after seeing the images you've produced with your eq5 I would very much like to see what you can do with a NEQ6! Your more than welcome to come have a go with mine Mark thats for sure :)

Thats really impressive Chris, there's some amazing shots from this scope. I just noticed FLO have got some images taken with this scope on the 130P DS Product page, I am very tempted to buy one :grin:

Hi Skyline, Thank you thats very kind of you to say :) I've just had a look at the FLO 130pds page and I notice the images are taken by Nadeem Shah whos a mate of mine so I'll have to congratulate him, thanks for the heads up :)

Chris

Great images Chris along with some nice processing. I really liked M13 and the star colour is great in all of the images

Hi Martin, thank you very much :) I too was surprised how well m13 came out for just 10 minutes integration time and only light frames. I'm also surprised at the star colour considering I'm using ISO1600, often star colour can be washed out at such high ISO, I must be doing something right I recken :D

Chris

Well I tell you what, after seeing the images you've produced with your eq5 I would very much like to see what you can do with a NEQ6! Your more than welcome to come have a go with mine Mark thats for sure :)

I will be out there imaging again soon and plan a trip to pay you a visit Chris so look forward to meeting you and the neq:D

Archived