SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How far will you Travel

scarp15

I don't drive. but basically what happened was I thought I would keep walking till I hit the next good spot.

Isn't that how Forest Gump started.. :)

I drive about 8 miles to a very good site which is easy. We also have a very good site which has a very good southern h about 20 miles away. My back yard is rubbish and only really good for the moon and planets.

ED; I should add you don't have to travel far from anywhere in Lincolnshire for a decent spot. I don't understand why there are no big star parties in this Shire..

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking again at the Avex light pollution map around London and getting very depressed. For me the quickest way out is via the A40 / M40, and the nearest "dark" site will be in the gap between High Wycombe, Oxford and Reading, though it not really dark. Looking out along the M4 isn't any better.

TBH I really can't be bothered. Although my home is well in his white area I can see more than his table (0-15 stars) would indicate. Time was when on a good night I could glimpse the Milky Way. Not any more, and it's getting worse if anything.

Last year I negotiated with a very nice Farmer to use a lovely dark site on his land, accessed by a gated and locked private road, some 15 mins or so drive by car. With the inclement weather last Winter, never used it. Now I can not drive because of my eye sight, and until the Hospital sort my eyes out I shall not be going this year either, violins can commence playing at this point :D All part of life`s rich patter I am told :)

am lucky moved house recently and was worried bout the skies, got a clear night and a lovely view of the milkyway streaked right across perfect for finding those DSO's. Though new galloway park is only 35miles away too :)

So far just my back garden in the 2 years or so I've been in the game, I'm genuinely worried that when I go to a dark sky site it'll be so good that back garden astronomy just wont do it for me again.

I'm going to norfolk in a month, to one of the darkest parts of it (and probably the whole country) and I'm taking my 6" with me. I can't wait... I hope it isn't clouds all week i'll cry!

Archived