Narrowband

How far will you Travel

scarp15

And where on a return trip to reach a dark sky destination.

Last night I made an approximately 65 mile return trip to a location on Hadrians Wall. I also use sites with a local astro club - Sunderland Astro, around the Blanchland Moor, and towards the Northern Penninies, approximately 45 - 55 miles as a round trip. Then there is Kielder, which is a bit more of a commitment, so not necessariily a return trip on the same evening. Locally I sometimes use the Newcastle Town Moor - great for taking bino's and observing comets etc. Once out of the city, the roads are fairly quiet, so travel to these destinations is good. I have yet to try locations on the Northumberland coast, which should be good to.

How far do you go?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

about 3/4 of a mile or one and a half mile round trip. thats every clear night and by foot. I used to occasionally get the bicycle and trailer out for a round trip of about 26 miles but got fed up having to collimate my sct everytime and my longest trip by foot was 8 miles round trip. It wasnt much fun carrying just over 46lbs on my back for that distance. My new set up is a fair bit lighter at about 12kg

about 3/4 of a mile or one and a half mile round trip. thats every clear night and by foot. I used to occasionally get the bicycle and trailer out for a round trip of about 26 miles but got fed up having to collimate my sct everytime and my longest trip by foot was 8 miles round trip. It wasnt much fun carrying just over 46lbs on my back for that distance. My new set up is a fair bit lighter at about 12kg

8 mile round trip on foot? I'm guessing it wasn't accessible by other means, hope it was clear!

Just a few steps out onto the patio, though a visit to a dark site is definitely on my to-do list.

Same here. My home skies are ok NELM 5.7 on a feed night but would love to visit somewhere properly dark. I have found a spot I hope to visit this autumn/winter

Barry

6 feet onto the patio and then complain about neighbours security ligths and the general orange glow here in Lancashire.

I do try to get a few dark sky holidays in each year and will be off to the Forest of Dean in a few weeks.

About 45 foot to my tripod down the bottom end of the garden.

Living in London it's at least 45 min just to get beyond the M25, and how much more to find anything approaching dark?

Just not worth the hassle, esp as it will have clouded over by the time I got there.

Our group's closest dark site to me is a 10 mile round trip but the same site is 80 odd miles return trip for some of our west central group members. I've done a 90 mile round trip to get to a reservoir in the Lammermuir hills, worth the trip when its clear, the skies are fantastic.

Scarp did you go to cawfields?planning a trip up there soon as it looked good last time I went there but didn't get any viewing in due to the clouds

Yes I went to Cawfields. Let me know if you plan a trip there anytime.

Archived