Narrowband

New range of Orthoscopics, Japan

glowjet

Just heads up for all Orthoscopic devotees, I had cause recently, to visit the Kokusai Kohki web site, they were distributors of the famous Circle T Orthoscopics, manufactured by the now retired Japanese lens maker Mr Tani. They are now distributing a new range, the Fujiyarma HD Orthoscopic, chrome brass 42° FOV threaded for 1.25" filters and all surfaces multi coated, all sizes are para-focal and once again manufactured in Tokyo. It would also seem that they will be available through Lyra Optic in due course :)

These look very, very similar to the Astro Hutech orthos and the Baader GO's before them. I wonder if they are all made in the same place - quite possibly by Masuyama ?.

We discussed them here:

Sorry John I missed your input on these, It would be nice if any of the members who regularly attend SGL Meets, acquired one of these and you were able to do a comparison with the Baader BGO, Astro Hutech and any others which were brought along, I have a strong feeling that you may be proved right, that there will be little to choose between them :)

I have 3 of the Fujiyama-HD orthoscopics, the 18mm, 12.5mm and 9mm, and also a 7mm BGO. I suspect that if one did a blinded comparison (in the testing rather than the literal sense) the BGOs and Fujiyamas would come out equal.

One thing which I do like about the Fujiyamas, which I never expected, is the fact that they're parfocal. When I ordered them I thought it was a bit of a gimmick ("I mean really, how hard is it to refocus a scope?"), but actually, when in use it means that I do spend less time stressing over finding the finest focus and worrying about the object I'm looking at drifting out of the field of view when using a manual alt-az mount. In fact I like it so much I'd be tempted to sell the BGO and pay the difference for a new HD.

I did a review of the Astro Hutech's compared to the Baader GO's with some comments on the Baader Classics thrown in for good measure here:

http://stargazerslou...s-orthoscopics/

The Astro Hutech range are not fully parfocal though as the 6mm and 18mm focus around 8mm further out than the rest of the range which are par focal (more or less) with the Baader GO's. I've recently been sent the 25mm Astro Hutech ortho which I'll get round to writing a report on when I've managed to pass a few more photons through it !

Optically I reckon there would be nothing to choose between Astro Hutech's, the Fujiyama's and the Baader GO's with the exception of the point of focus mentioned above.

I bet They are made from the same Japanese company my Antares 12.5 mm flat top ortho looks just like them and even my UO 6mm HD ortho they are all excellent in sharpness and contrast and worth every Penny on the planets For sure dale

Archived