Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Balancing my Tasco 40-114675

I picked this up cheap at a garage sale. The manual gives specific directions on balancing, but I cannot get it to balance correctly. I guess you might say it is head heavy.

Any suggestions? Are heavier counterweights available? I know that the mount isn't the best but it's the only thing in my budget right now.

Hi Neil, have you been able to loosen the tube rings and move the telescope tube (OTA - optical tube assembly) up or down inside them? It is usually this action that gets it near to balance, and then to fine-tune move the counter-weights up or down everso slightly, or a combination of both. You certainly shouldn't need to buy extra counter-weights, to be honest the telescope is not worth the extra cost. I suggest perservering a bit to see if you can get it right.

Nice entry Level telescope, if it's too shaky, you could build a simple dobsonian Rockerbox mount for 3-5€ if the mount is troubling you (and get a smaller scope later or use a camera lens for astro photography on that mount) :-)

Good luck and lots of fun with your telescope.

Archived