Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Night time fear

Hi guys!

The title probably speaks for itself :-) How do you go about overcoming the night fear? I'm not that big of a baby bawl pants, bit time to time, even in my back yard, I get scarred. Like right now, have scope ready, waiting for clouds to roll out and I just don't feel comfortable - I must have a hearing of a dog, all them strange sounds... I understand that not a lot of people have this fear, but the ones that do - what helps to overcome it?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I know what you mean....

I live in the middle of nowhere and I mean nowhere but that to me is a little scarier than living near people. All sorts of strange noises in the countryside!

I generally plug my iPod into my ears and listen to a bit of Einaudi and enjoy the sky.

Hope the cloud clears........Ive just packed up because of it! Grr

Jamie

Practice, mostly. The night is far from quiet, but you get used to the common sounds fairly quickly. Knowing what the noises are helps too, so you recognise that there are bats flying about or pigeons having a bit of a go at each other, owls calling each other or whatever. Pretty much everything out there at night wants to avoid you or is far more worried about you than you need to be about it. If necessary, take a reasonably bright torch and keep it somewhere handy. It'll ruin your night vision, but you can get that back relatively quickly, and once you find out that hideous noise was actually a toad, or next door's cat catching a mouse, you'll start to feel a bit more comfortable with the sounds.

Loads of people have stories about jumping out of their skins when the unusual stuff happens even so. Hedgehogs can be shockingly noisy when you're not expecting it, even more so during the mating season. I've been out in the middle of a field and had a badger creep up on me. Those things you just put down to experience.

James

I dont really suffer from a fear of being alone in the garden late at night. Intruders do not like confrontation, so will avoid you. My Yorkie has to be involved in anything i do and she comes out with me when observing and barks her backside off for about 10 mins. Then she settles down by my side.

Cats,foxes,hedgehogs all give me a jump while observing but i expect them and am no longer phased.

I find I cease to care after I've found my first object on any particular night. As a wildlife enthusiast I'm pretty well versed in what's out and about making noises at night. Pheasants can sound a bit alarming, as do foxes. Of course I usually observe from a public park and the drunken shouts of people over in Hampton Hill can be quite alarming. Not that I've ever had any problems with people - they steer clear of the park at night, especially my little corner. I spent a whole hour and a half out there last Saturday and the only thing that disturbed me was a low-flying heron. The deer can be a worry though - as grab 'n' go as my whole setup is, I'm stll not sure what I'd do if they came down on me in the dark...

DD

Can't say I had a fear of it but it does take time to get used to the noises at night.

I have almost cra**ed myself when a flock of geese flew through the field of view making lots of noise.

When its quite at night everything else sounds louder, even more so when there is snow on the ground.

Have you tried sitting outside (on an overcast night) without the scope and just listen to the sounds, it might help if you get used to hearing them then when you have your scope out you'll be used to whats normal sounding.

Hope it helps.

Thanks LukeSkywatcher for advice. I do usually try to explain(in a most simple and possible way) to myself the sounds I hear. It's just the thought of something unnatural and impossible that scares me at first. I have 2 pomeranians, tried to keep them outside with me, but them little creatures are noisy and probably more scared of strange sounds than me, so have to keep them inside. Have my cat tonight, he seems happy to keep me company :)

Oooh, yes, roosting pheasants can really put the wind up you if they're disturbed. Last year I had one kick off in a tree barely ten metres from where I was set up. That got the heart racing a bit :)

Around here I tend to hear to foxes from a distance, so it's no real surprise as they get closer. No idea what they're like in towns though.

James

It's just the thought of something unnatural and impossible that scares me at first.

There are no unnatural nor impossible things out there, honest :)

As JKB suggests, music (or the radio) may help. Either to cover up the noises you'd prefer not to hear, or to discourage the local fauna from wanting to come too close.

James

Also have the feeling that something or someone is behind my back. I keep turning around to check every couple minutes. It just does my head in, want to get rid of that and enjoy observing.

Thanks Dick_dangerous, I have also noticed that when I find and start observing my first object, the whole bad feeling goes away.

Thanks LukeSkywatcher for advice. I do usually try to explain(in a most simple and possible way) to myself the sounds I hear. It's just the thought of something unnatural and impossible that scares me at first. I have 2 pomeranians, tried to keep them outside with me, but them little creatures are noisy and probably more scared of strange sounds than me, so have to keep them inside. Have my cat tonight, he seems happy to keep me company :)

Those Poms outside with you while observing will be your security. They are small but naturally yappy (like my Yorkie). Their bark is almost bigger than their bite. They may be a "lap dog", but they are so protective over their owner. They will fight tooth and nail to protect the owner.

The clouds are getting worse, I guess I'll have to pack up as well :(

Yesterday the Met Office was promising me a clear day all day, with a clear night to follow. This morning they'd changed their mind and the morning was going to be cloudy. Then as the day has worn on the forecast has changed for the hour or so ahead, to be fairly cloudy. It is still fairly cloudy. I had plans for getting a guiding setup sorted tonight based on the forecast. I am not chuffed :(

James

Get the triple CD of Islands by Ludovico Einaudi works a treat.

I first heard him from this timelapse video

Nothing better.

And remember the only thing behind you is the past.........

Jamie

Yesterday the Met Office was promising me a clear day all day, with a clear night to follow. This morning they'd changed their mind and the morning was going to be cloudy. Then as the day has worn on the forecast has changed for the hour or so ahead, to be fairly cloudy. It is still fairly cloudy. I had plans for getting a guiding setup sorted tonight based on the forecast. I am not chuffed :(

James

The same for me, the forecast kept on changing hourly, but it showed to be mostly clear tonight and it's nowhere near that. The clouds are thick and fairly low. Thanks for keeping me company, it seemed to help, forgot all about the fear :)

Get the triple CD of Islands by Ludovico Einaudi works a treat.

I first heard him from this timelapse video

Nothing better.

And remember the only thing behind you is the past.........

Jamie

Thanks Jamie, will definitely download this. From this video I can see I will like it.

Sad as it seems I even used his music for one of my own videos!

Well thick cloud here now so off to bed. Fingers crossed for tomorrow

Jamie

Wow...that's amazing Jamie. Thanks for sharing. I can see why you chose this music and the photos - simply beautiful.

I know what you mean, we don't have anything unnatural here (I hope) but burglary is not too uncommon in spates. A big machete is what most people have at hand! But I would be too scared of that escalating an encounter!! Luckily, chances are nothing will happen! Best bet I guess is to invite people round and share in the experience or have a drink and chat whilst you observe?

That's exactly what I think clunsey73 everytime after I'm done with observing - nothing happened, so no reason to be scared (until next time :) ). It seems the older I get, the more fears I have.

Archived