Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

3nm Astrodon Ha - If you can't beat them.........

johnrt

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It won't be cost effective to put high-end H-alpha filter with low-end narrowband imager - a DSLR. You can buy a 2" 3nm H-alpha filter and use it with a DSLR, but that won't give you the potential such filter has (the same for other narrowband filters + color camera).

Nice one :) I'm just wondering if the Astrodon 3nm Ha would be several hundred pounds worth better than the Astrodon 5nm Ha :D I already have the latter.

It would be going with the Atik 460EX mono CCD camera so 1.25" size.

My Canon 600d is modded.

You can get some Ha with a modded camera and it will enhance emission nebulae, but it will be slow going because of the one in four, as explained. I'd try a less expensive one as Rik suggests.

To be honest, the loss of effective Ha data would be unthinkable for me. it is such a big player in emission nebulae and often pretty striking on galaxies.

Olly

I'm glad that you like it John. It's certainly a few ££'s to spend to squeeze out another tiny % of performance!!

Coming from the Astronomik 12nm to the Astrodon doesn't feel like a squeeze of extra performance, judging from my first impressions it feels like quite a step up. I am more than a little eager to get 15-20 10 minute exposures to play with using this filter. The extra detail and contrast and tight little stars are certainly in a different league to my old filter!!

Archived