Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

3nm Astrodon Ha - If you can't beat them.........

johnrt

........Join them.

Order placed with Ian King this morning, so it's safe to start discussing these again in threads without tormenting me!

Looking forward to this filter arriving as I'm upgrading from a 12nm Astronomik, so the difference should be huge!!

Now just to explain the need for this to the finance director in a way she'll understand......

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about "I just got it at a xx% discount" (say 50% or something similar :evil:)

Just taken a look at your flickr site, and you already have some great images - I especially like the H-Alpha one of IC5146 :).

These are easy enough to sneak in under the radar john - They look so insignificant they couldn't really cost in excess of £300 could they?!!! Just get Ian to send without an invoice and say it cost £50!!! Can you tell that's what I did?!!!!

You know, the total value of the astronomy gear market to the UK economy must be ten times what astronomers say it is :D

James

That must mean I've paid enough for a house deposit with the kit I've bought :Envy::D.

Fortunately, at least my portion of the market isn't ten times what I say it is :).

I'm sure though it's really easy to show someone a filter and say "this only cost £20" when in actual fact it cost £200. After all, upon showing a family member my Astronomik O-III Filter and telling them how much it was they were very surprised (given it's only small!) ;).

These are easy enough to sneak in under the radar john - They look so insignificant they couldn't really cost in excess of £300 could they?!!! Just get Ian to send without an invoice and say it cost £50!!! Can you tell that's what I did?!!!!

Not a bad idea, but I feel I'm already being played somewhat at this game by her with books. Hey, I've never seen these books before, is it something new you're reading? No i read all that ages ago, silly!!

Been drooling over these for a while.. just realised it cost double my 2nd LRGB Baader set I ordered for the triple shooter today I!!

Note that 3nm H-alpha won't pass [N II] emission which may make many nebulae much dimmer than when a 6-7nm or broader H-alpha filter would be used (they pass the nitrogen emission).

So, are you saying it would be useful to get the 3nm NI filter too? ( same price :grin: ) It would be useful to now which targets benefit from it..

N II could be useful if you want to showcase H-a / [N II] difference. In general however it may be not worth it to use such two narrow filters (if the imaging nights count is limited a lot by weather) as you would have to spend a lot of time gathering data. The 6-7 nm H-alpha filters should be quite Moon-resistant too ;)

[N II] can be found in nearly every nebulae that isn't just a big cloud of glowing hydrogen. Here is an example:

2e0tgeg.jpg

The 3Nm is incomparably more moon proof than the 7, though that's not why I went for it since beddybies in moon week is the house rule!

I'm sure you'll like this filter.

As for a good place to start discussing the cost with SWMBO, I'd have thought the central Atacama on a bad phone line would be about as good as it gets...

Olly

Well the clouds have just parted long enough for me to guide out a quick 10 minute exposure on the Pacman using the 3nm Astrodon, and to say I'm blown away by it is an understatement. I knew that this would be in a different class to the 12nm Astronomik, but I didn't think it would be as good as it appears to be!!

I managed to capture x3 10 minute exposures on the Pacman NGC 281 with my 6" RC before it clouded over again. I've calibrated them with bias, dark and flats then stacked and stretched them in Pixinsight.

To say I'm excited by the prospect of some serious imaging time with this filter is an understatement!

9483086760_8fc8a73040_c.jpg

Excuse my ignorance, Can i use such a filter with my dslr?

Is it worth the extra cost to try an image in Ha with a dslr?

If so cold someone point me in the right direction for more information.

Rgds,

Simon

Excuse my ignorance, Can i use such a filter with my dslr?

Is it worth the extra cost to try an image in Ha with a dslr?

I think you'd be better off modding the DSLR to remove the IR filter if you were after more detail in your images. With this Ha filter you'd end up only using the red pixels in the camera sensor, so only one in every four, and it only passes a very narrow range of frequencies. You might get something, but you'd probably need very long exposures.

James

Archived