Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Roel

Sketch: Palomar 11

During my latest trip to the island of La Palma my observations suffered from a pretty bad hazy sky, caused by dust from the Sahara desert high up in the atmosphere. Even from the highest peaks the sky was covered in a dusty mist for days. The Milky Way was just as bright as from my standard observing site in the Netherlands. Not quite what I was expecting... However, I managed to find this elusive globular in Aquila, mostly because of it being situated higher in the sky. It was pretty hard to spot, even with my 300mm f/4 Dobsonian (Sumerian Optics Alkaid), but after some minutes of searching with averted vision I spotted "something" on the correct location. More concentrated viewing once located made the cluster more and more apparent.I made the sketch using a 8mm LVW (150x)

Palomar 11, Mirador de los Andenes, 4 aug. 2013, 02.00u - 02.30u, 300mm f/4, 8mm LVW

North is up, West is to the right.

6012914-Schets_Palomar11_20130804_MiradorLosAndenes_200-300_300mmf4_8LVW_600px.jpg

• Like 2

Thats a superb sketch! I just read that the Palomar Glubulars are a big challenge. Great job! Might try these out one day :grin: