Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

what is it?

SteveL

anyone tell me what it is I can see right now in the sky directly below Cassiopeia and to the right of M31? Looks ike a comet wth a tail, but its moving very fast (not fast enough foran aircraft though). Dont think its a cloud, its moving the wrong way (against the wind). It difinitely has a pointy end andawiderfannedoutsection behind it

I'm really glad someone else has seen this! I am a very new observer and was wondering what this was. I noticed it quite low in the NW about midnight and it was just below Cassiopeia shortly before 1.00. Can comets move that quickly? I always had the impression that they take days or weeks to move across the sky. I did wonder whether it was a rather odd con-trail as we are on the transatlantic flight path and get lots of those (nice hazy skies!)

Louise

not a comet, but very cool anyway. The "object" pulsed as it passed over, which comets dont tend to do. aparantly its NROL-24 jettisoning its fuel. A friend of mine from the USA (Joplin Motisher) took this hasty image and mailed it out

nrol-24-fueldump.jpg

Saw it as well from Taunton - I thought it was a cloud for a while but it didn't go the right way. I was about to go to bed assuming it was a bizarre manifestation of the aurora borealis but am now glad I know what it was!

James

Archived