Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Afocal M42 10/12/07 new & improved!!!

Whippy

So flush from my success of last week's Orion nebula, I though I'd try using my bigger, faster newt (Celestron C8N) and using my Baader Neodynium filter to try and get rid of some light pollution. Small problem though, the Celestron is a darn sight more tricky to focus (wasted 40 exposures on a target because it was out of focus :icon_jokercolor:) and being a bit faster than my WO, the eyepieces don't like it so much. But saying that, there's a whole lot more nebula to see in this one :embarassed:.

So, 50 exposures at 15 seconds on the Canon Powershot A610, through the Baader Hyperion 21mm with a Neodynium filter, hooked onto my Celestron C8N. Stacked in Registax and badly processed in ye Photoshoppe..

Raw Stack:

2688_normal.jpeg

(click to witness the bigness)

And the processed:

2689_normal.jpeg

(click for hardcore enlargement action)

As always, you're welcome to have a play, give some pointers or just throw a few insults. It's all good :rolleyes:.

Tony..

No mockery from anyone Tony. You chose a very difficult imaging configuration to capture the Orion Neb. and you are making a great job of it. You must be employing this method as a result of having a fixed lens in the camera you are using. Is the attachment to the scope eyepiece a direct one, or is it held in place by a camera bracket, which allows the lens of the camera to almost touch the eyepiece.?

This is just out of curiosity.

Ron.

No mockery from anyone Tony. You chose a very difficult imaging configuration to capture the Orion Neb. and you are making a great job of it. You must be employing this method as a result of having a fixed lens in the camera you are using. Is the attachment to the scope eyepiece a direct one, or is it held in place by a camera bracket, which allows the lens of the camera to almost touch the eyepiece.?

This is just out of curiosity.

Ron.

Ron, I was window shopping a few months back and I noticed that Hyperion EP's are pretty flexible when it comes to connecting things to them. I also noticed that you can get a filter ring 'thingy' for the Canon Powershot so you get a 52mm thread that you can add accessories. Conveniently, Baader do loads of step rings for Hyperions including a M52 to 54mm one, so I ordered one from Telescope Service and there we go. My thinking is I didn't want to wade into imaging and spend loads of cash so I'll have a play using this set up, get some idea of what do, processing etc etc and see what happens. If I don't want to take imaging any further, I haven't lost anything as we already had the camera and the Hyperions are great EP's anyway.

So, here's all the bits:

2696_normal.jpeg

(clicky to make biggy)

From left to right (not quite sure why it's out of focus!): Camera with the cover ring off of the body, filter ring 'thingy', Badder step ring, Baader 21mm Hyperion.

And all connected together:

2697_normal.jpeg

(click for enhugification)

Thanks for the kind words everyone :icon_jokercolor:, much appreciated.

Tony..

OOoh! I want one of those! Only three more things to get! How much are the 3 things from the right (e/p, ring, cylinder)?

The EP's are yer bog standard Hyperions, the filter ring 'thingy' I got off of Ebay like this one: http://tinyurl.com/yvalom , and the step ring I got from Telescope Service in Germany for about 25 Euros IIRC.

Tony..

Hi. Tony,

Yes, I can well understand your frugal approach to this imaging lark. It can be a drain on ones funds if you allow to take over your life, it seems to be doing that to me of late, and I have not even produced an image yet.

My main reason for asking how you linked the afocal setup together, was to find out if you had a direct connection to the camera lens, which of course I see you do. I used a similar set of components which I bought from Telescope House, and I was going to supply you the information. However, you now don't need it, your system is very effective, and pleased to see it is producing good results for you.

So, keep up the good work, it is inspiring others to take the same route.

Ron. :icon_jokercolor:

Thanks Ron, it's always nice to hear some encouragement (indeed, thanks to everyone!):embarassed:.

Looks like it'll be cold n' clear for a fair few of us tonight so I think I'll have another crack at M31 which I took 40 shots of last night, all out of focus :icon_jokercolor:. Methinks a crayford for the Celestron could be in order at some point....

Tony..

Looks like a great way to get imaging Tony, and the results speak for themselves, smashing stuff. The stack looks noisier than it ought to though, have you had a go with Deep Sky Stacker as that might work better for you? I never thought I'd type those words as DSS and I didn't get on for many months. Now I find it more useful than Registax on larger images. I'm sure you'll get more out of the raw data than you have posted here.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Archived