Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Shot on the night from 4th to 5th of August 2013. I was shooting Noctilucent Clouds time lapse sequence, which I have planned from some time e5ke.jpg when suddenly aurora joined the show djks.jpg .

• Like 6

Sorry, wrong code, "edit" option would be useful on this forum. 7ktx.jpg

• Like 1

Lovely Maciek, and very lucky. Not seen any NLC's this year.

As for the edit option... it was removed until a user has at least 250 posts (from memory).

Thanks guys. I've seen NLC's many times this year, it was a rather good year for them, some times few weeks ago, they covered half a sky here on the north.

fantastic NLC's the aurora are just the "icing on the cake" i do envy you guys up there when i see images like these. i did think i could see some Noctilucent Clouds when i got up this morning at 4am but they were overhead, rather than on the horizon

I am working on time lapses from that night, all these pictures above came from TL sequences which I shot during the night ... you now just to make you more jealous ;). September and October should be good for auroras here so make a short break and visit, even if there will be no aurora then you can always shoot Milky Way here as we have one of darkest sky in the UK. You have probably seen already pictures of Stewart Watt (Saturn 5) so I probably don't need to write more. And other good thing is that you don't need a passport ;).

BTW, here is my old work which I did for Thurso Cinema to advertise our skies to tourists and locals alike.

I am working on time lapses from that night, all these pictures above came from TL sequences which I shot during the night ....

Fabulous captures Maciej - can't wait to see the full footage from that night.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By x6gas
      Been a while since I've done any astronomy but was in Iceland this week and even though the weather was generally not that great did get a couple of nights when the Aurora was pretty good for short spells.  Have a bunch of photos to process but my focus was off for some of them, unfortunately, and I'm thinking I probably should have had the lens stopped down a step or two rather than wide open...
      I was concentrating on watching and enjoying the show rather than photographing it and the battery in my remote failed so some of them have some camera shake but good to get some images.
      This one:  Nikon D40x, 50mm lens, f/1.8, 13s, ISO-100.  Just a bit of curves in PS.
      Like I say, it's been a while and this is the first time I've imaged the aurora, so comments very welcome.

• By mapstar
      A short timelapse of the Aurora the mob had on the Isle of Skye before getting into viewing the heavens with the dobs.
      Skye Aurora Timelapse
      Sorry there's no sound media isn't my speciality
    • By Demonperformer
      Just seen on TV that aurorae are expected tonight at Scotland/N Ireland latitudes. Just caught the end of the report, so don't have any further details. 
    • By moondust
      HI, Some aurora photos from Iceland in october from our trip by sunderland astro. taken with a canon 650d and fisheye lens thanks for looking Dennis.

• By TakMan
      Out on a 6Hr 'Hunting the Northern Lights' trip with GLØD Explorer, 60 or so Km away from our base in Alta.

Not as cold as we were expecting - or as much snow (which meant less cloudy skies). Also coincided with a G1/G2 magnetic storm hitting the Earth that increased the activity - very lucky!

Witnessed around 10 auroral displays over the 4 days we were up in the Arctic Circle, 3 of which were magnificent!

Got a lot of shots to go through and will perhaps make up some presentation for my local astronomy group....

We started out from Alta with thick cloud (and light snow falling). Our guide Sara drove south in the 4x4 and eventually we found some clearing skies. A hint of the aurora followed  (so I took some constellation shots whilst waiting for the sky to clear). The aurora did put on a weak display that slowly grew stonger. Once it had started to fade we headed back.... within 5 minutes of doing so we could see activity rising - Sara pulled the mini bus over, we all jumped out (cameras still attached to tripods thankfully) and were just in time to catch this mesmerising 10 minute display (the shot below is from near the start!
      In this wide field image you can find the Hyades, Pleiades, Open Cluster - Melotte 20 in Perseus (above centre), to the right of that the Double Cluster and below that and a little to the right (obscured by the aurora somewhat) M31, The Andromeda Galaxy plus the Milky Way sticking out from the right edge of the aurora to the edge of the frame...

The bright-ish star a third of the way along from the upper left is Capella in Auriga - a quick scan around that region yields the three open clusters. If you follow them out towards the left of the frame.... that faint smudge is M35 at the foot of Gemini!

Manfrotto tripod mounted with hydrostatic ball head (trusty 8 year old, full frame 12Mp) Nikon D3 and the superb Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 @ 14mm. Perhaps time for the upgrade before the next trip - D810 currently the top choice....
      This gives a field of view of approx: 114° - 84°, so at the angle I'm shooting at, this shot reaches up to near zenith.

ISO 800, 15 sec, Mirror up function with cable release. NEF RAW file (lightly) processed in Adobe LightRoom.
      Damian

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.