Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Perseids anyone having a go?

Carl Reade

just taken a snapshot and all i'm getting is this, but I'll keep it running for a couple of hours and knocked it up to x4 integration just incase there's something behind the clouds that might show up

post-24363-0-10629700-1376432621_thumb.j

just taken a snapshot and all i'm getting is this, but I'll keep it running for a couple of hours and knocked it up to x4 integration just incase there's something behind the clouds that might show up

Same here Johnno total cover, x4 worth a bash. This meteor capture is an addictive game :grin:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Johnno. .see you have some of my clouds in your image. ..hi jamie you will find some difference using a video camera to a dslr. .when I was dslr imagining gets a bit cold n boring sitting around was using a 400d no live view had a timer/exposure counter and had to keep checking the images on the camera to make any changes required.....video point and shoot if its good on liveview its good on capture. ....couple of mins on video thousand odd frames of images to stack /Photoshop ..Davy

Johnno, I downloaded Handyavi to have a go with it. Does your video playback after motion capture, play faster than real time? (capture frames and playback frames both set the same) If you know what I mean.

I'm having a go with this as the Key code price for UFO capture is £124 after the 30 day trial. Handy is a lot cheaper.

Cheers Carl

<p>

<br />

Johnno, I downloaded Handyavi to have a go with it. Does your video playback after motion capture, play faster than real time? (capture frames and playback frames both set the same) If you know what I mean.<br />

<br />

I'm having a go with this as the Key code price for UFO capture is £124 after the 30 day trial. Handy is a lot cheaper.<br />

<br />

Cheers Carl<br />

<br />

<br />

Hi Carl, if you goto, file, then preferences, there is a check box for '' auto play newly created videos'' I have this unchecked so I don't know if it plays back faster, but if I playback a video after I come out of the program, I've noticed that in parts of the movie it seem to speed up a bit and goes back to normal speed. Don't know what causes that.

BTW, That Yawcam wasn't much good, it could be me not having the settings right but the motion detection wasn't up to much. It was firing off at nothing [ could be because the clouds were moving, and when there was movement ie planes and police helicopter it didn't fire up at all. So I set it to take a frame every 15 secs. There is a option to create a movie with captured frames which you can do afterwards, not tried it..... John

Just created the movie and I must say its so simple, just select all frames and click to make movie, done in a second, 387 frames. i'll keep the software on pc just for this and its free.

you'll notice plane lights at the beginning and the police heli at the end which the motion detection didn't pick up.

yawcam test

Just created the movie and I must say its so simple, just select all frames and click to make movie, done in a second, 387 frames. i'll keep the software on pc just for this and its free.

you'll notice plane lights at the beginning and the police heli at the end which the motion detection didn't pick up.

http://www.flickr.co...475/9518622028/

Cheers Johnno, not just me with playback speed then. I will try the video compression instead of raw see if that makes a difference to normal speed playback. I have Yawcam, tried it using an ip address and was able to watch my webcam over the net live from the phone, but the quality was pretty poor.

Handyavi £38, UFO V2 £124, Handy wins on price and has extra features. Chuffed with the amount of input and results to the thread and I can see a dedicated camera being setup in the next few weeks :grin:

Cheers Carl

• 3 weeks later...

Following a successful go at the Persieds I got the meteor cam bug. I had planned on making the outside casing myself but waterproofing, frost and dew put me off that one :eek:

Camera housings I found vary in price from £30 to £100 which was surprising. I managed to get a Labgear housing with built it fan and dew heater, the price?

under £20 delivered from the usual outlet, could'nt even make it for that :grin:

Meteor cam is now in place using a spare Sammy 2000. The Christmas tree stand is now retired and will not appear for a few months :grin:

post-30085-0-77666900-1378578952_thumb.j

post-30085-0-84798000-1378579026_thumb.j

Cheers Carl

Yes Davy built in fan and heater. Looking at the board it has two 5 watt resistors which the fan blows on and a temp sensor. Looks like the heating comes on around 0C to keep frost of the glass. The hot pixels will have to see but if there's no dew/frost system then the camera won't see nada. Has to be a compromise:) Amp glow won't be a problem as the intergration is set for 4X just for meteors. Must say for the price worth a buy. Will update as the cloud disperses. Can'

No need to use the peltier on this as it dosnt need to be as sensitive. I'll use it yet lol.

What lens you using on this rig...and what field of view are you looking at....I was hoping fir a pan n tilt motorized mount but there crazy prices. .may try n make one with rc plane stuff I have...Davy

The lens is set at 2.8mm so the FOV should be around 80 Deg. Tilt and pan are expensive beasts but not really needed. Put money on it that the minute you move it you miss something.

Carl

Looking good Carl...is the casing heated for dew ect and big question if it is what about hot pixels on camera or would you cool the full bunha... :).

Davy

Looking good Carl...is the casing heated for dew ect and big question if it is what about hot pixels on camera or would you cool the full bunha... :).

Davy

First light last night no hot pixels perfect picture works well.

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

Archived