Help to Mount SONY DSLR on TAL-1M

I'm a keen Photographer and I've just bought my first telescope - one within my budget, a 1995 (model number 0066) TAL-1M I have only been out with it once since purchase, I would like to try my hand at Astrophotgraphy, thing is i'm unsure of how to attach my camera to the telescope, looking online I have found that I need a T-piece and other adapter but I don't know where it would attach to ( as the only camera mount plate is on the Declination axis on the counter weight, I assumed it would fit near the eye peice, does the age of my telescope have anything to do with not being able to suss out where the camera goes - the camera holding plate is designed to hold an older SLR but i can do a little bit of jiggery pokery to get it to fit .. or buy a new one to fit my camera

Can anyone help me clear this up or send me in the right direction. I start my photgraphy course at college in 2 weeks and I'd love to get a heads up before I start

Many Thanks

Steve

Hi

Correctly you need a T-ring to attach to your camera, and a camera adaptor like this one: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/flo-125-inch-t-mount-camera-adapter.html (if your scope has a 1.25 inch focuser, if you have a 2" focuser, then get the equalivent piece for 2") that you insert into the focuser instead of an eyepiece. That atleast is true for standard telescopes. If you're unsure of what you have, snap a few pictures of the whole setup and we'll be able to see whats what.

A few things to keep in mind: Sometime you cannot reach focus because the focues cannot travel inwards or outwards enough. In that case you might need to add a spacer in between, or get another focuser that inserts longer into the tube. Also you're limited to very bright objects (the moon, jupiter) since faint objects require a mount that tracks the sky steadly enough for you to set your camera to longer exposures.

Archived