Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Guidescope for SkyWatcher Equinox 80?

Hi,

I'm considering getting one of these (although still researching) but I'm not sure about what GuideScope I should get. I've currently got a Celestron 80mm which I use on my C8 SCT (which I will be selling). Could I use the Celestron 80mm as a guidescope with the Equinox 80? Or should you use something smaller?

Cheers,

Matt

I've got an Equinox 80, and it is quite a small telescope (in length) compared to other 80mm scopes out there. You should be able to attach both refractors side by side or on top of each other using mounting hardware that is available from various astro supplier. Personally, I found it a lot easier to buy one of those Orion (USA) finder-guider scopes, which I find is great.

Yes, that link to the SCS Astro website shows the same finder-guider I've got - in fact, I purchased mine from them. If you go for the Equinox 80 you'd be advised to purchase a flat field corrector - I got one from FLO some time back and it certainly helps. I attach a QHY5 guide camera to the guider and use PHD. By the way, I'm using an EQ6 (with goto retro-fitted).

Cheers

Monmouth3817

Archived