Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep33_banner.thumb.jpg.75d09b4b1b4e5bdb1393e57ce45e6a32.jpg

Hi,

Last night I made 22 exposures 10 min each to Ghost Nebula (IC 63) using Ha filter (Baader 7nm). The weather was perfect and the mount worked as a dream, best tracking i had ever.

Acquisition, guiding, stacking, calibrating in MaximDL, focusing in FocusMax and final processing (levels, curves, unsharp mask, reduce noise) with Photoshop PS2.

Set-up used - MN190 on EQ6/EQMOD, ATIK 314L+ mono plus True-Tech filter wheel, guided by finder-guider with SSAG, motofocuser controlled by SELETEK.

ic63_ha_22x600sec_ps_218.jpg

• Like 5

Thank you for your feed-back. I will try to obtain some extra exposures this night.

The tracking of my mount (belt drive) was unbelievable and if it will be the same this night, I will try some 900...1800 sec exposures.

tracking_04_jul_g2013_109.jpg

I made some extra exposures in SII and OIII (105 minutes each) and I tried a Hubble palette with them. Calibrated and stacked on each channel, then color combine in MaximDL, weighted like 2xSII ®, 1xHa(G) and 2xOIII(B) and then processed in StarTools (Color TAB). The result was amazing for me, being first time when I processed a color image in StarTools. The details are not so obvious but the color is present and if you look carefully on both images (colored and uncolored), you'll find all details in both but color just in one.

You decide which is the best.

ic63_sii_ha_oiii_mapped_colors_684.jpg

Superb image - prefer the plain Ha version

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Gerr
      The 6th January was clear and still and so at last a good night for imaging (not perfect as Moon was still waning).
      My 8" SW 200P Reflector was wanting to be used and so it was carefully mounted onto the HEQ5 and payload maxed out with the imaging train.
      Yeah I know - this combination is a big ask for the job (but an EQ6 is beyond me at the moment!). Anyway with careful balancing and hardly any wind it was worth trying!
      Nebula were best targets and again new ones for me.
      These were the Bubble Nebula, Cave Nebula and Monkey Head Nebula. The Optolong L-eNhance Dual Narrowband Filter was used for all images.
      Usual calibration frames and dithered instead of Dark's. Other 'Astro Stuff' is in my signature. 
      Any constructive criticism's welcome.
      Gerr
      Bubble Nebula (Sharpless 162) 15x240secs (1 hour of data).
      Cave Nebula (Sh2-155) 7x240secs & 23x300secs (2hrs 23 mins).
      Monkey Head Nebula (NGC 2174) 44x240secs (just under 3hrs).

• By deanchapman2705
      Hi guys, hoping you can help with the tracking problems I'm coming across with my astrophotography setup. I've been using it since August 2020 and have kind of put up with the problem until last night where I think it's getting worse...
      Specs below (let me know if you need anything else):
      William Optics Zenithstar 61 II (360mm F6.1) - Zenithstar 61Adjustable Field Flattener iOptron SkyGuider Pro Camera Mount Full Package K&F Concept Aluminium Tripod with 2kg weight Canon EOS 250d (cropped sensor 1.6x) The problem:
      I take roughly 40 pics with each being 1 minute long at 1600 ISO and stack them on DeepSkyStacker. From a few people I know on the internet, it seems as though, with a very similar setup and same focal length, they can get around 3 mins of exposure with no problem. And that's without a guide camera.
      With my 1 minute exposure, roughly 10 of 40 images are reasonable but the rest have star trailing or double stars (see attached downscaled, unedited pics of Orion nebula)
      What I think it could be:
      My first idea was the tripod, it's not the best but it's not cheap plastic, and it should be fine for a 1 min exposure. Then I thought it could be the iOptron tracker that could be faulty?
      Every screw has been tightened, there's no play in any of the adapters/mounts.

I thought I'd post this here to see if anyone else has the same problem or has more experience/knowledge that could help. Also to see if there's an obvious problem before I spend hundreds on a new tripod or send the tracker back for a replacement.
      Any help would be much appreciated!
      Thanks,
      Dean

• By SpaceDave
      I'm new to the astrophotography hobby. I have experience with astronomy. I am struggling to make decent deep sky images (other than M42). The images don't seem to have much definition or brightness despite a decent overall exposure time. See the below images. I have seen on this forum that people are able to take awesome images of the below objects with my same setup. Is anyone able to tell me if I am missing something, please? Do I need even more exposure time?
      I use a Celestron 6SE with unmodified Canon 600D. It has a goto alt az, no EQ. I use a bahtinov mask to focus. Both images were taken with the native focal length of 1500mm, no filters or eyepieces.
      The image of the Triangulum Galaxy is 180 x 15sec ISO800 images. The Crab Neb is 250 x 15sec ISO800 images. Both images had their appropriate flats, darks and biases (30 of each). I use SIRIL to stack the images, which I have had good success with M42 before (see below).
      Any advice would be appreciated!

• By AstroM1
      Nikon D5100 + WO ZS73 II Star Adventurer Pro 150 x 30 sec + DOF
    • By MarsG76
      This is a close up of IC 2944, also known as the Running Chicken Nebula or the λ Centauri Nebula, with the Bok Globules visible in the upper third of the frame. IC2944 is an open cluster with an associated emission nebula found in the constellation Centaurus, near the star λ Centauri. This image was exposed using a Cooled and full spectrum astro modded DSLR through a 8" SCT at it's native 2032mm (f10) focal length. The total exposure time was 8 hours and 25 minutes, through a UV/IR filter to capture natural colour data.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.