Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Atik 383L+ First light: M8 and Triffid (smash & grab)

Uranium235

Well, I got it all set up - but the sky wouldnt play ball. A case of cloudy/clear/cloudy/clear, so it was difficult to get anything guiding for long.

I had originally planned to go for the veil, but that had temporarily vanished behind the top of a (very) tall tree for a bit... hmmmm.. what to do?.... Ah yes! M8! The horizon was fairly good so I thought I would have a crack something low. The 383 works as hoped for in atremis capture, except that there is a loss sensitivity in preview mode - so the framing of weak targets its a little more tricky.

I also found out why I need to upgrade my telescope or focuser at some point, the 80ED stock focuser is really struggling with this lot hanging off it and tends to slip wildly out of focus. Anyway, I got it to stay in focus long enough for a quick smash and gram on M8 - the kind ot target I only get the briefest glimpse of for a very short period of the year... blink and its gone!

Just some very simple processing, no layers, and no calibration whatsoever - just a brief hot pixel removal filter.

80ED, Atik 383L+, NEQ6

4x450.... just tickled it really.

Thanks for looking!

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=98668

post-5513-0-58694600-1375606137_thumb.jp

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For such a short set of subs Rob, this is really very impressive, and despite the learning curve with the framing method, you've got this spot-on. Can you expand a little more about the low sensitivity for framing - what downloads are you doing for for this (usually they are something like 3 seconds in 2xbin mode) and if the sensitivity is weaker than for a 314, why is this? I believe the 383 has a manual shutter, is this a factor here? Nevertheless the 383 is one of the best CCD chips out there and does give a nice big FOV coverage as well as your lovely image demonstrates - I think you're going to turn out some cracking images with this.

Martin

For such a short set of subs Rob, this is really very impressive, and despite the learning curve with the framing method, you've got this spot-on. Can you expand a little more about the low sensitivity for framing - what downloads are you doing for for this (usually they are something like 3 seconds in 2xbin mode) and if the sensitivity is weaker than for a 314, why is this? I believe the 383 has a manual shutter, is this a factor here? Nevertheless the 383 is one of the best CCD chips out there and does give a nice big FOV coverage as well as your lovely image demonstrates - I think you're going to turn out some cracking images with this.

Martin

Thanks Martin! For framing I used 2sec exposures at 6x6bin (preview mode), however I do need to mention that this was with the Ha filter in place, so that probably made things harder than they needed to be - along with the focuser issues. Its probably just a case of me getting used to it, all ive ever used is the 314 so I may need a little time in order to learn how to get the best out of the 383. I used similar settings when framing on the 314, but im guessing that the lower read noise of that camera made Ha easier to spot amongst the noise in a 2sec exposure. I could have improved it by not using preview mode, but that would increase the download time (i think!).

The shutter wasnt an issue at all, in fact I couldnt hear it! You hear it click a couple of times when you power the camera up, but thats about it.

That is impressive for just 4x450! You must be pleased with the results. What's the weight of the 383?

Anyway, wonderful first light,

E.

The camera is 700g, add a reducer and FW and youre getting on for 1.5kg+.

Trouble is, a focuser upgrade is just as expensive as the 80ED - so I may as well just get a triplet with an r&p focuser. Olly was right.... crayfords are the work of the devil!

Very nice work with your new cam there. Do you use the marker function in Artemis? Will help with framing next time though as you say it may be a bit low soon.

Ahhh, the marker function! I completely forgot about that. I check to see if its on my version of Artemis. I installed it off the CD that came with it, so it should be up to date.

Cheers for the pointer Freddie :)

You must be pleased with that Rob. Great result for first light. Wish I could see this target!

I've been very lucky with my stock focuser on the 80ED. Stays put session after session. I did pull it apart though when I first got it as I had to colimate the scope it was all out of alignment. Another reason I'm hoping the ZS71 will turn out better for the triple shooter! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trouble is, a focuser upgrade is just as expensive as the 80ED - so I may as well just get a triplet with an r&p focuser. Olly was right.... crayfords are the work of the devil!

Mmm, yes I see the issue, 1.5kg+ is quite a bit. I'm contemplating at the moment the SX mini filter wheel (which comes with its own OAG) to keep weight low for my Megrez 72, fortunately my H9 is only 400gs :smiley: . Are 1.25in filters OK for the 383?

E.

Yes I can confirm 1.25" filters work well. But that may be something to do with the speed im operating at (f6.38), and that I have the camera butted right up to the FW by using a continuous male t-thread (which I hacksawed from an old adapter).

But I will still take some flats, just to get a stock up and running. Oh gawd, just thought... it means I have to build a complete new library of calibration frames. This may take a while!

That's a very good shot showing some nice detail.I really like the ed80 so decided to upgrade to the baader steeltrack focuser which is great for the heavier load and seems a very well made piece of kit

Nicely done, Always great to see M8 in Ha or is it Lum?

Mark

Ha mate ;)

I dont think Id be able to get this in Lum or RGB as its in streetlight territory (nasty white lights and oncoming vehicles), I think Ha is as much as I can hope for when its that low in the sky (24deg below the celestial equator from my location). But I'd like to have a go at the Cocoon soon in LRGB, just so I can have a giggle at DSS when it does the star count :)

Ive just taken some calibration frames, on the flats - the only bit of vignetting is in extreme bottom left corner, it should be manageable though. The bias looks normal, so Ive calibrated what little frames I have and its evened out the background a bit. Ive also pushed it a little further with the processing, but there is only so far you can go with just 30min worth of data!

9437168951_ed570a5fc8_b.jpg

Don't push it too hard. I'd layer the two versions in Ps and choose the right opacity, maybe using the eraser to let the very sharp stuff through in places. But...

What a cracker! Really something else. Stunning framng and smooth sharp data in no time flat. Very impressive. I hope you're thrilled to bits.

Olly

Don't push it too hard. I'd layer the two versions in Ps and choose the right opacity, maybe using the eraser to let the very sharp stuff through in places. But...

What a cracker! Really something else. Stunning framng and smooth sharp data in no time flat. Very impressive. I hope you're thrilled to bits.

Olly

Thrilled is probably the right word! :) Cheers Olly!

I was half expecting dodgy stars in the corners, but they seem ok so its another win for the 80ED. In the above version, I did try a layer and even dared to do a high pass filter, not something I normally do unless I have a couple of hours worth at least!

The leap from interline to full-frame sensors hasnt been the trauma I thought it would be. In fact, very little has changed apart from the enormous sensor (compared to my old cam) and the increased processing power required to handle the larger file size.

Tomorrow night is forecast as clear, so I might be able to add more to this (depending on the sky quality). If not, I'll have to think of something else to pick on.... narrowband or RGB? Cant decide! Its great not being restricted in what I can tackle now, even during galaxy season it will be useful with the 80ED - a mosaic of the virgo supercluster? Not impossible now :D

I have been really impressed with my ED80 but the focuser is pants. Its been off the scope being tinkered with so many times so it does not slip..... I would upgrade it but thats £300 towards a Borg/Tak. So going to make do for now.

EDIT: Btw great first light. I have had my CCD for a month now and have NOTHING in the can yet.

Great first light Rob, I love the framing. Looks like you're gonna have some serious fun with your new FOV!

Still waiting for my new cam to arrive! :-[

Cheers Lewis, Im still trying to decide what to do next tonight. Ive got about 2.5 hours maximum, so options are a bit limited if I want colour. Hope you get the new camera soon, once you get it you will wonder how you ever managed without!

Kirkster - I did tinker with mine from stock and it was fine for the 314, but its not working so well for the 383 as the focuser slipped even though it was locked (when slewing to zenith). I'll have another look at it, but I'll tighten it up just a bit more as I dont want to damage anything by overdoing it.

Cheers Lewis, Im still trying to decide what to do next tonight. Ive got about 2.5 hours maximum, so options are a bit limited if I want colour. Hope you get the new camera soon, once you get it you will wonder how you ever managed without!

It's arrived today, so hopefully I'll have a chance to try it out tonight! Shame I didn't receive the same service level as you, but pleased I have it at last! I plan to try it on a target I've already imaged, for comparison purposes.

There might be a few more clear nights this week (looks patchy) so you can always pick a filter or two per night...

Archived