Ceph and Cass

QSI 683wsg

Sam

Due to price, availability, warranty and not a lot of back focus on my setup I've decided this camera might be the best for me. What do folks reckon about this camera? I think I've gone about as far as I can with my DSLR so it's time to make the leap to mono CCD and filter wheels etc.:)

Maxim, Nebulosity 3 is what I have used for capture. Nebulosity is only for single frames, Maxim connected to ACP or CCD AP takes all of my images.

/p

Thanks, I think I'm going get maxim with it, just need to work out the budget.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sam,

Thanks for that, it means the clouds will be moving south giving us northerners a bit of clear sky :grin: :grin: :grin:

Seriously, that's one hell of a camera. I have taken, somewhat modestly, the mono route and I really enjoy it - weather permitting.

I use Maxim exclusively and once you get to know it it is wonderful. Guides all night, changes all my filters, takes all my images and

even taking flats is easy using John Winfield's super Sky Flat's Assistant plug-in. BTW Maxim's yahoo site is very helpful.

Remember to post your first light.

cheers

Steve

Just ordered it! about to embark on another steep learning curve of mono imaging with filters etc. :)

If your into big targets (nebula) I'd get the EOS mounted adapter, use a 200/2.8 L or 300 f/4 L lens and ditch the telecope.

I have this CCD camera as well and I am absolutely delighted with it. Build quality is sublime and it simply functions as specified. I use MaxIm DL to control mine and this is a seamless interface - I do, however, use Nebulosity for hot pixel removal as I prefer the way it does this over MaxIm DL.

Highly recommended!

Well I think I made the right choice then! QSI just got back to me to say they don't ship it with Maxim anymore so I might have to get the software separately. I like the idea of maxim running everything - just not sure about the price, SWMBO wants to upgrade the wagon to a Colorado 7, eeeek!

I can't wait until the camera arrives, I might have to become nocturnal. of course as pointed out it may be a huge cloud magnet.

Anyone use the 683wsg with a QHY5?

:)

AstroArt is indeed a very capable piece of software at a lower cost and I can't think of any good reason why it shouldn't support the QSI camera but, obviously worth a check to make sure.

The website for astroart says QSI cameras are compatible..... Mmmmmmmm so many choices. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nebulosity is excellent software! You can even automate to some extent. I wrote a program that produces Nebulosity batch-files from a dialog. It can spread exposures over filters and handles the entire capture process. All you have to do is get you scope pointing at the right target, start the guiding (if you guide) and fire away (go to bed). You are welcome to use it if you like. Just ping me.

/per

Nebscript3.GIF