Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion upside-down

centroid

Just to show that Orion really is upside-down here in Australia, I 'grabbed' this 'shot' last night.

Apologies for the poor quality, but it was taken from my daughter's back garden, which is 'in-town', and is only a single 30 sec exposure at ISO 1600.

I included the top of the tree, to show the orientation of Orion. Down here, he travels across the sky, from right to left.

Dave

post-13389-133877334616_thumb.jpg

So if you stand on the equator and look directly up what way do the stars move.

Is that a stupid question - I suppose it depends what way your body is facing, could be wrong though.

Recommend the Maldives for stargazing by the way, extremely dark skies and I am sure you could see into the southern hemishere as there was defo stuff I had never seen before - again could be wrong.

by the way, that's like a star map, zenith is in the middle, the edges are the horizon.

Sorry, Dave! I find it fascinating to see different views of the sky. I don't know how you can cope with it - doesn't it throw you way off track? No Cassiopeia to keep you right?

Andrew

Nope, no Cassiopeia down here Andrew.

Some of the constellations that we see when looking South, are seen when looking North from down here, but a very different heights above the horizon. For example the 'square of Pegasus, is very low down on the northern horizon here.

The sky looks very different down here, with so many constellations that we can never see of course, but none the less fascinating.

Unlike us 'back home', the guys down here, have no 'Pole Star' for easy polar alignment.

Dave

Archived