2052839955_Mobilephonebanner.jpg.a502a319d7033354d442937f2edd0c2c.jpg

North Essex star dodgers

2stops

Watcha 2stops :D

Its all been a bit quite on here lately, I think they're all out enjoying the sun!

As for dark sites... That's the holy grail :D best spots so far seem to be Burnham / Southminster way or Ugley near Stansted.

I'm sure it'll get busier here when the clocks go back.

welcome to the group

• Like 1

Hi all new to the site and astronomy in general, I live in Braintree and i am looking for the best sites to view the night sky locally, any suggestions please!

hi 2stops

my brother lives near Finchingfield, its very dark around there.

• Like 1

Thanks all, I will try these suggestions, and strange as it seems I like many am enjoying this strange summer of ours, and waiting for the nights to draw in to really try some star gazing

Welcome Braintree Astronomer.

Guess you have some leads from this thread and good luck with that.

Unfortunately, the Ugely green site has no details, I am not sure it exists to be honest (the observing site that is, the place does exist).

Finchingfield, again if you can find details of a publically-accessible site around here, this will be a worthwhile achievement, but my initial searches revealed nothing....

How about this access road for a site near FInchingField/Great Bardfield? Just approach the farmer/land owner politely and ask if you can setup one telescope with one car on the occasional night a couple of times a month. A few bottles of wine normally helps - the very worst they can say is no.. If they say yes, just make sure you check in every so often - thats how I have always done it in the past and never had any issues at all.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps?q=Great+Bardfield&hl=en&ll=51.955047,0.44405&spn=0.001413,0.004128&sll=51.574109,0.462394&sspn=0.091218,0.264187&oq=great+bardfiel&hnear=Great+Bardfield,+Essex,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=19

Or even this one - this looks perfect - sure you will get the odd car going along, but just close your eyes as they pass to preserve your night vision. Its got to be better than nothing!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps?q=Great+Bardfield&hl=en&ll=51.956957,0.441791&spn=0.00071,0.002064&sll=51.574109,0.462394&sspn=0.091218,0.264187&oq=great+bardfiel&hnear=Great+Bardfield,+Essex,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=20

It certainly does exist - why would you say it doesn't exist? What a strange thing to say. There are links to google earth pins if you search the forum for them.

post-10509-0-02280300-1375821218_thumb.j

post-10509-0-04919000-1375821224_thumb.j

Nope, cant find the link, a search for "Ugely Green" on Essex Cloud Dodgers comes up with no details on the whereabouts of this site. Can someone send me a link ? Is this on private land ? Whats the LP from Stansted like ? Do folk actually observe there ?

Regarding other sites in the general area, sure you can find plenty of leads by looking at maps, satellite images, street view etc. My experience is that when it comes to the chrunch, the sites I visited in person to check out properly turned out to be dissapointing eg: rough uneven ground, tall grass/ crops, dusty, on a slope, limited space to set up a scope, limited space to park, obstructions to view, too close to road etc etc.... There are no obvious publically accessible sites in this general area eg a national trust site with a car park in a dark area. So I guess we have to make do with what there is.

Agreed, there will be plenty of potential sites on private farm land. Any further info on that (eg specific sites) appreciated, its not a route I've personally taken to date without prior familiarity with the farmer.

The one in Ugley is good - you have a certain amount of traffic going past but I found that slows to less than a car an hour after 10pm - it's no dartmoor by any means but it does the trick - prior `one off` permission from the farmer is required, but once you have that you can turn up whenever you want. I'll post some subs later to show you the LP at the site.

Hi, unless if there's interest in a meeting soon, any change you can pm me with info on the Ugley green farmer contact/ site location? Might be better than my local site at Hatfield forest, which is very good ground and unobstructed, but not so great re LP

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.