Stars_Banner.jpg.843f9de1cf2bdcd4b91ede4312ecf0ca.jpg

Which Dovetail do I need?

I have bought a Skywatcher ST 80 and what to use it with my Skywatcher Alt Az goto mount. The ST 80 came with tube rings but when I look for a dovetail bar to use they all seem to be for equaltorial mounts. Which type do I need to use on my goto mount?

If the mount is the AZ-3 mount, fitting the ST80 can be a bit of a challenge because it's tube is too short to allow enough space between the tube rings to allow them fit onto the mounting points on the mount head.

When I did this I used the photo tripod block on the bottom of the ST80 and got this adapter which fits onto the AZ-3 mount head:

http://www.harrisont...ptor_Plate.html

You can then mount the ST80 tube onto the adapter in the same way you would a camera.

If you don't want to buy the adapter you could probably knock up a DIY version of some sort I guess.

Thanks for that John, My mount is a goto mount not the AZ3. It has a craddle for a dovetail bar but am not sure which one will fit. I have been looking at these

dovetail%20short%201403%201%20141.jpg

Equatorial%20mounting%20plates141.jpg

The first picture is made by scope technics and the second picture is of the skywatcher dovetails but in the discriptions they are refer them to fit EQ3 to EQ6 mounts

none say they are compatable with the craddle on the skywatcher goto mount. I hope the one by scope technics is compatable as it is only 16cm long and has more holes to be able to fix the rings to and only costs £5.99 including delivery from Scopes n Skies.

Thanks for that John, My mount is a goto mount not the AZ3. It has a craddle for a dovetail bar but am not sure which one will fit.....

I'm glad for you - as you can see, fitting the ST80 to the AZ-3 is a bit more involved !