One Last purchase - I cant help it

Pig

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the Vixen LVW 42mm for a little while and the trick of its large FOV is simply pincushion distortion, which is fairly severe. The apparent field of view is indeed 72°, not 65° as erroneously stated by some retailers. However, it does not show a significantly larger true field of view than other 40-42mm superwides - that's impossible! The barrel is very thin metal, to the extent that the 2" filter threads are very loose, which enables it to squeeze in a tiny bit of extra field.

Furthermore, the quality of the field was not great in my ED120 at f/7.5, showing poor stars in the last 15%.

I didn't own it long - I went back to a 40mm Aero which is better and less than half the price.

Andrew

I had the Vixen LVW 42mm for a little while and the trick of it's large FOV is simply pincushion distortion, which is fairly severe. The apparent field of view is indeed 72°, not 65° as erroneously claimed by some retailers. However, it does not show a significantly larger true field of view than other 40-42mm superwides - that's impossible! The barrel is very thin metal, to the extent that the 2" filter threads are very loose, which enables it to squeeze in a tiny bit of extra field.

Furthermore, the quality of the field was not great in my ED120 at f/7.5, showing poor stars in the last 15%.

I didn't own it long - I went back to a 40mm Aero which is better and less than half the price.

Andrew

Thank you Andrew,

I love words like "had" although this terminology is not meant as a negative it does mean you would still have it if it pressed the correct buttons :smiley:

Another option, 48mm Brandon ( about £ 225 )

www.vernonscope.com

Edit: There is no such thing as "One Last Purchase". :grin:

Thank you Mike,

Their website states a 48 deg FOV so that leaves me with 1.0 deg , slightly less than my current maxi :smiley:

Obviously it's up to you what you get and how much you spend but it's worth bearing in mind that the Maxivision 34mm shows you a true field of around 1 degree whereas the widest you can go is just .18 of a degree more. Depends on how much you want to spend on that extra .18 degree I guess.

Sometimes it gets to the point where buying an faster scope to complement your 9.25" SCT is a better option and maybe even less expensive. Your 34mm will show 2.3 degrees of sky with an 8" F/5 scope more than doubling your true field of view.

John,

is this at the expense of a loss in magnification ? :smiley:

John,

is this at the expense of a loss in magnification ? :smiley:

Yes. a 34mm eyepiece in a 2350mm focal length scope gives 69x but in a 1000mm focal length scope (which an 8" F/5 scope is) the magnification given is just 29x. Thats why you can see a lot more sky :smiley:

One of the reasons 100 degree field of view eyepieces are fun to use is that they still show lots of sky at higher magnifications.

Yes. a 34mm eyepiece in a 2350mm focal length scope gives 69x but in a 1000mm focal length scope (which an 8" F/5 scope is) the magnification given is just 29x. Thats why you can see a lot more sky :smiley:

One of the reasons 100 degree field of view eyepieces are fun to use is that they still show lots of sky at higher magnifications.

That's good at least I am starting to understand the theory now - thanks :laugh:

More money as well as more fun :grin:

Nice little report on the 42mm from Vixen Andrew, I think I already own the best 40, ish mm eyepiece, if there was extra field to show I think TV would have done it first.

The Brandon looks interesting, not a make I have ever seen.

Shaun, I think you have the TV virus very bad, would you like some anti-TV purcahse tablets sending, they cost 600 pounds a box.

Alan.

I've got exactly the same set of Delos EP's as you (though probably not for long unless you get Alan's tablets :grin:) but I have to say the 21mm Ethos is my favourite EP. The Delos EP's feel at least as sharp as the Ethos but that extra field of view with the Ethos is nice when you're looking for a wide view.

You could roll a dice and if it's 6 or less, buy the 21mm? :evil:

I might have to go for a 21mm Ethos :evil::grin: Have to balance the weather with Cheadle in Staffordshire.

Edit: There is no such thing as "One Last Purchase". :grin:

Ah yes....the 'One Last Purchase' routine......it is said there are astronomers out there that actually believe this phenomenon.

Nice little report on the 42mm from Vixen Andrew, I think I already own the best 40, ish mm eyepiece, if there was extra field to show I think TV would have done it first.

The Brandon looks interesting, not a make I have ever seen.

Shaun, I think you have the TV virus very bad, would you like some anti-TV purcahse tablets sending, they cost 600 pounds a box.

Alan.

Im ok at the moment Alan :laugh:

Quite nice symptoms as viruses go :grin:

Yes the symtoms can be nice but when the wife finds out you can get a whole array of problems. When the wife is seen with a doll looking something like you, you can get sharp stabbing pains and even a burning sensations. I tend to favour the buy from UK and have delivered to our apartment in town while she is at work then hide it with the others. Not that honest I agree.

Alan.

Ah yes....the 'One Last Purchase' routine......it is said there are astronomers out there that actually believe this phenomenon.

I did. I thought I'd be done after my TV plossls. Nope, now I've got my sights set on a 31mm T5 Nagler :rolleyes: , it doesn't seem like it will be too long before I've got 3 eyepiece cases full of good quality EPs, oh well :evil:

I'm sorry, bear with me as I'm a little lost! Are you still looking for a wide-angle eyepiece to fit in more sky over your 34mm MaxVision? I think the 40mm Aero is your one. The 41mm Panoptic will not be a great deal better I can assure you, and certainly not in your SCT. Of course it's a good eyepiece and will keep its value better, but the views will not be significantly better. The Aero won't give a vastly bigger FOV than your 34mm but it will get a lot more use. SCTs' FOV is small, so you will reach for the wider field more often.

That said, it might not be much use if you decide to go for a new wider field scope as the exit pupil may get too large.

Also consider the focal reducer as suggested earlier. This will noticeably increase potential FOV.

Where the 22mm Nagler comes into the equation I'm not sure. It has a much smaller FOV, but it fills the gap between your Delos and the 34mm nicely.

Archived