One Last purchase - I cant help it

Pig

Ok guys advice needed

Thus far all your recommendations have been spot on, so I call on you all one last time :shocked: I think !

I need a wide angle FOV with enough power to see good definition

Why ?

When looking at Bodes Nebula on Thursday night I could just about squeeze the 2 components of the nebula into my Maxi 34mm 82 deg, as a result I feel the need for something with a wider view.

The Maxi is excellent with crisp pin point stars, So this is my benchmark eyepiece

I cant quite stretch to the Ethos price range at this time.

Thank you in advance

Shaun

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most eyepieces will work well and be sharp right across the field in your scope Shaun as it's an F/10.

When I had something similar (a C8) I found the 40mm Skywatcher Aero ED was excellent. It's field stop approaching as large as it gets with the 2" format. The optics are the same as the now out of production TMB Paragon which had a great reputation.

You are not going to get a lot more FoV than the 34mm Maxivision gives but it's a little more at least.

Most eyepieces will work well and be sharp right across the field in your scope Shaun as it's an F/10.

When I had something similar (a C8) I found the 40mm Skywatcher Aero ED was excellent. It's field stop approaching as large as it gets with the 2" format. The optics are the same as the now out of production TMB Paragon which had a great reputation.

You are not going to get a lot more FoV than the 34mm Maxivision gives but it's a little more at least.

Thank you once again John it is very much appreciated, I will check this eyepiece out immediately :sad:

Obviously it's up to you what you get and how much you spend but it's worth bearing in mind that the Maxivision 34mm shows you a true field of around 1 degree whereas the widest you can go is just .18 of a degree more. Depends on how much you want to spend on that extra .18 degree I guess.

Sometimes it gets to the point where buying an faster scope to complement your 9.25" SCT is a better option and maybe even less expensive. Your 34mm will show 2.3 degrees of sky with an 8" F/5 scope more than doubling your true field of view.

Obviously it's up to you what you get and how much you spend but it's worth bearing in mind that the Maxivision 34mm shows you a true field of around 1 degree whereas the widest you can go is just .18 of a degree more. Depends on how much you want to spend on that extra .18 degree I guess.

Sometimes it gets to the point where buying an faster scope to complement your 9.25" SCT is a better option and maybe even less expensive. Your 34mm will show 2.3 degrees of sky with an 8" F/5 scope more than doubling your true field of view.

John makes an excellent point - and it's why many amateur astronomers end up with more than one scope :).

That does seem to make more sense, is there a link to a site where such calculations are available John

You realise ill have to change the thread now for suggestions on scopes :laugh:

Thank you Jonathan :laugh:

Of course, there's no harm in doing it yourself with a calculator :p

(M = LT / LE, Fa= FA / M; Where M is Magnification, L is Focal Length, F is Field of View, T is Telescope, E is Eyepiece, A is Apparent and a is true)

The website is very useful and speedy.

I am surprised focal length makes such a difference but I have never really studied the theory of telescope design, I tend to just judge what is observably visible :smiley:

So in reality I am looking for Fa :grin: nothing new there then :shocked:

LOL £310 - that's put a whole new light on it :shocked:

That cash would also buy you a nice well known DOB at f/5.91, the most popular and most sold scope in the UK to widen that FOV for you :D It would also give you additional options with the eyepieces you already have :) Not trying to change you opinion at all, just another way of looking at the problem you are faced with.

A small fast 70 to 90mm refractor as a grab and go with some of your eyepieces would 'blow your socks off' !

andrew

Its the alignment process etc that puts me off Andrew. The goto is perfect for the UK weather. However I am open to suggestions :smiley: I believe there is a WO double for sale on here somewhere

How would a focal reducer work in your scope Shaun?I see them for sale and this would give you a much wider FOV,but I'm not sure if they would degrade the images visually.It may help in some ways though.Has anyone tried one of these for visual observation?

How would a focal reducer work in your scope Shaun?I see them for sale and this would give you a much wider FOV,but I'm not sure if they would degrade the images visually.It may help in some ways though.Has anyone tried one of these for visual observation?

I honestly have no idea Gerry :shocked:

as john said the aero 40mm is great and it gives 1.15 degrees, but i believe the vixen 42mm will give you 1.2 degrees and reading what mr spock says its brilliant, which i believe

Cheers Faulksy I will check it out

as john said the aero 40mm is great and it gives 1.15 degrees, but i believe the vixen 42mm will give you 1.2 degrees and reading what mr spock says its brilliant, which i believe

The specs certainly say that but there has been plenty of debate whether the actual FoV is quite as wide as claimed. The Vixen costs nearly £300 so you would want to be certain about what you will actually get.

I've no doubt it's a fine eyepiece though - the other LVW's certainly are :smiley:

Archived