SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The size of the Andromeda galaxy in the sky

ubertank

Nice visualization. It's quite easy to demonstrate in that M31 is 2 million ly across and 100k ly distant. So in terms of apparent size it is the same as viewing a foot ruler at 20 feet. Which is easy to see.

Thats a good way to show how large it's apparent size is - it often comes as a surprise to folks !

What you can see visually is usually a smaller extent of the central core plus some indications of the outer parts on a dark night. The other evening the galaxy was extending well beyond the edges of a 3 degree field of view that my 4" refractor was giving at the time.

Objects like this are a good reason to have a low power, wide angle as possible eyepiece in the tool box :smiley:

I couldn't agree more John.

I had some excellent views with my Maxi on Thursday night :shocked: I might have to go for a 100 deg eyepiece next. Not sure which one though.

I was using the ES 20mm 100 during the above observation. I'm very pleased with it's performance :smiley:

Very interesting. I would say though, in average sized binoculars or by naked eye you can only normally see the core of M31 which can be an area roughly the apparent diameter of the moon. Astro-photography is quite deceiving when compared to visual observing.

Thats a good way to show how large it's apparent size is - it often comes as a surprise to folks !

A Surprise to me really, my mind still doesn't believe the picture!

I've got quite a few widefield shots in which M31 shows up very clearly. It certainly is not hard to spot on long exposure images.

Looking forward to seeing them :grin:

Archived