Which Nebula Filter?

skywalker3

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ashley,

The type that make the most difference are the UHC and O-III type filters. These are also known as narrowband filters. The Skywatcher brand ones seem to work well - a number of folks on this forum use them and report good results. You might find the UHC type a bit more versatile than the O-III although the O-III has a more pronounced effect on certain objects. These filters actually dim the background stars a bit but the nebulae stands out a little more and shows more contrast. They are most effective on planetary nebulae and supernova remnants but have some effect on most nebulae types. They don't give any benefit on galaxies or star clusters.

Remember to look for a 2" filter as you will want use it with your 2" eyepiece :smiley:

I have also been pondering this one lately and am also a relative beginner. I read in the descriptions of the Skywatcher filters on the Optical-Systems website, that when looking for a general purpose nebula filter, a UHC is better suited to scopes up to 200mm and OIII to larger ones. Is there any truth in this? As mine is 254mm, on this basis I was thinking of going for the OIII.

Pleased to hear the Skywatcher is well regarded as it is a lot cheaper than some of the alternatives and planning to get a 2" version, that makes quite a difference in outlay.

If you have a scope that is less than 6 inches do not get the O-3 or ultrablock or narrowband filter It will diminished a lot of the nearby stars the Skyglow Orion broadband Is perfect for my 6 inch scopes The O-3 filter is a very specializes filter for certain objects and are great in 10 inch scopes or bigger The veil nebulae and North American Nebulae are great in a O-3 Dale

my first preference for filters is that they should show me something I cannot see without them. personally, there are only two filters that do this (for all scopes) and they are the Oiii and solar film.

I have used an Oiii with scopes from 90mm to 16" and it works well on all appropriate objects. the darker the sky the better but even with light pollution like where I live (close to Manchester and Stockport), I have seen the veil with a 90mm frac. with a 6" scope from Glan Conwy I got fantastic views of the veil, the north America nebula, the pelican nebula and the crescent. of this type of filter if you only get one, get an Oiii. I have an Oiii and UHC (both Castell), a Hb (yet to use - skywatcher) and a Baader Neodymium (mainly for lunar and Jupiter/Mars). All 2" and I agree with John's comment above about 2" filters.

If you have a scope that is less than 6 inches do not get the O-3 or ultrablock or narrowband filter It will diminished a lot of the nearby stars the Skyglow Orion broadband Is perfect for my 6 inch scopes The O-3 filter is a very specializes filter for certain objects and are great in 10 inch scopes or bigger The veil nebulae and North American Nebulae are great in a O-3 Dale

Sorry to disagree Dale but I have found the Orion Ultrablock and other UHC narrowband filters work very effectively in scopes from just 80mm in aperture. I did own an Orion Skyglow and found it made barely any difference at all. I currently use an Astronomik O-III and it's superb in my scopes which range from 4" to 12" in aperture. The one filter I'd not really recommend in a smaller aperture scope (ie: < 8") would be the Baader O-III which I found to have a narrower band pass width than most O-III's.

Shane's caveat is worth noting though - there is no "magic bullet" alternative to dark skies and good sized aperture.

ps when I say fantastic I do mean relatively speaking of course. contrary to the advertising hype, they don't give photographic views without large aperture / very dark skies.

....damn those astro photo types!!

I'm in the same position, thinking of which filter to get for my 4SE. It will be more for photographic use, so I am not sure if I should get the 1.25" for the eyepiece or get the Astronomik one which fits in front of my EOS 350D (unmodded) so I can use my Sigma 70-300mm lens too. I tried to image the North American Nebula last night (with Sigma lens), got a lovely star field, but no nebula!!!

1375464123' post='2004250']

Afraid I disagree too, I often use my O-III filter with just my unaided eye and trust me it works. I've observed the North American nebula just by holding my O-III in front of my naked eye. You cannot get a smaller aperture than that.

I don't hold with "certain filters for certain apertures" this, for me this is wrong. "Certain filters for certain objects" this works. :)

All I can say is the OIII that was recommended to me works....really works,on the appropriate objects.The Orion Ultrablock works well too,but not as contrasty as the OIII,I tried them both tonight at a dark site & now at home here(brighter sky) in the 90mm.Dark sky-excellent,at home I just viewed the brighter Veil nebula which surprised me.These filters DO work in small telescopes,but filter(brand) may be more critical- I have only used these two so far,but they are good.

For me it will be a case of which one to get first. On a severely restricted budget due to my current (hopefully temporary) employment situation, I will have to be both patient and selective. I will no doubt eventually get both UHC and OIII but have to prioritise one over the other. Currently the OIII is first choice. I hit the half-century near the end of the month so much will depend on whether my family and friends are inclined to be generous :grin: (my scope was an early birthday present from my wife).

Thanks for all your advice everyone!

Im now thinking of getting a skywatcher o-iii filter, but not sure what size to get?

Reason being is that my 10mm & 25mm ep's are 1.25" and only my 32mm is 2".

Is there any kind of adapter to allow a 2" to be used with a 1.25" ep?

Sorry if this is a silly question!

So, I have googled this, and it seems that you can get 2" to 1.25" adapters that will take a 2" filter, which is great!!

I also read that I need to careful that the barrell of the 1.25" eyepiece doesnt touch the filter.

Based off my equipment, can you please suggest what 2" adapter I should purchase and also if I need to purchase anything else to ensure that I dont damage my new filter when I get it!!

thanks!!

Be careful that you can actually use those adapters with the Skyliner 150P. Skywatcher use a propriety approach to 1.25" and 2" adapters with their standard rack and pinion and single speed crayford focusers that means they are different from other manufacturers designs.

Be careful that you can actually use those adapters with the Skyliner 150P. Skywatcher use a propriety approach to 1.25" and 2" adapters with their standard rack and pinion and single speed crayford focusers that means they are different from other manufacturers designs.

Sorry, I am only 11 and I dont really understand what you are saying! It sounds like I might not be able to get an adapter to fit my scope?

WIth my equipment, is there a 2-1.25" adapter that I can get that will allow me to use a 2" filter with the 1.25" ep's?

thanks..

I just find with the smaller apertures the O-3 filter was to narrow for them but I guess it works differently with other scopes in my 6RV-6 the skyglow and ultrablock are ok I know that I need to used a filter in my light polluted Skies here and any filter will help me out on objects like emission And planetary nebulae I also have a discovery 10f/6 scope I used a filter on to Dale

Hi all,

It sounds like I might not be able to get an adapter to fit my scope?

WIth my equipment, is there a 2-1.25" adapter that I can get that will allow me to use a 2" filter with the 1.25" ep's?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!!

John,I have an adapter that may work,but wanted to ask you how the focusers are different?It looks as they use an extra adapter to use 2" eye pieces,so if this adapter accepts the 2" eyepieces,can there be any other issue preventing a 2"-1.25" adapter from working?(other than eyepiece base hitting filter)

Useful thread, it is on my soon to purchase items, not a 2 inch though in my scope so it is going to have to be 1.25. I wonder what thoughts are on the relative performance of the following

this one

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/uhc-oiii-visual-filters/skywatcher-uhc-filter.html

or

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/uhc-oiii-visual-filters/baader-uhc-s-filter.html

The latter is a bit more pricy, but is it worth the extra money ? Note that for me it has to work in a relatively small scope, and as noted these do not cut too much light, and are deemed suitable according to the descriptions.

Hi all,

It sounds like I might not be able to get an adapter to fit my scope?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!!

I will try to send pictures of my adapters,they may need separate posts....not so good on computers.I think the taller one will work,but lets take a look first.The taller adapter is the one I use with my star diagonal.All you do is thread the filter into the bottom of the adapter & the eyepiece barrel doesn't come close to the filters.It does add length as compared to a 2" eyepiece barrel alone,but you should have an "empty hole" underneath the Skywatcher 2" to focuser adapter.The taller adapter is a Stellarvue #FA2 I believe,if you call them the owner will help you out-Vic Maris-he is a lot of help & friendly.They do make shorter adapters so make sure you tell them what you are doing.I have the dimensions here if you need them.The price is $29.00US & are very well made.If any others have opinions to help please post.

Archived