SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Power supply for Atik CCD

Shibby

Not having a power tank, I was fairly surprised to learn that Atik CCDs don't come with a mains power adapter.

I have a Switched mode 3A Maplin adapter, with a voltage selector (inc 12V). Would this be safe to use? I'm unsure whether "switched mode" counts as regulated or not..?

Not having a power tank, I was fairly surprised to learn that Atik CCDs don't come with a mains power adapter.

I have a Switched mode 3A Maplin adapter, with a voltage selector (inc 12V). Would this be safe to use? I'm unsure whether "switched mode" counts as regulated or not..?

Some of them do come so equipped. The large format ones do. I can't help on the Maplins device but I use French-sourced 'Maplins type' 12 volt regulated supplies without issue.

Olly

I've lifted the specs of the Atik PSU off FLO's site..

Atik Switch Mode Power Supply Unit provides a reliable and clean power source that is ideal for use with Atik cameras.

Delivers a clean DC signal without the spikes and noise associated with budget power supplies.

Specifications

Input : 100-240V, 0.8A, 50-60Hz

Output : DC 12V 2.5A

2.1mm centre-tipped 5.5mm outer plug

Lewis, it might be now worth investing in a good bench supply. Thats how I ran the 314, and the 383 the same way (@13.5v). It also supplies the mount and EL panel, all at the same time (30A max) without breaking a sweat.

I got mine from maplins, though they do have a good selection - its worth popping down and having a browse as they might have an in-store offer.

I'd have thought so for most people. If you have multiple scopes, cooled cameras and dew heaters running at the same time it might be a bit much, but I think most people wouldn't expect to be drawing anything like 30A.

James

I am sure the amperage will be plenty James. Thats not where I am coming from though, i am thinking more in terms of one item possibly creating noise and issues on the 12V rail. Should some components be driven from their own PSU? Maybe not but I am sure I read sowmwhere people mentioning issues with all on the same 12V rail.

I am sure the amperage will be plenty James. Thats not where I am coming from though, i am thinking more in terms of one item possibly creating noise and issues on the 12V rail. Should some components be driven from their own PSU? Maybe not but I am sure I read sowmwhere people mentioning issues with all on the same 12V rail.

One of the reasons I picked this one.. http://www.maplin.co...r-supply-509268

"It is engineered to minimize the switching noise specifically for amateur radio use, when minor noise does occur it can be eliminated with the Noise-Offset function."

I've not seen any problems & running it into a MountHubPro which powers the mount, dew heaters, 3 x Atik 314L+'s, all the focusers motors and the inbuilt USB. Also, runs the EL panel & watever else needs the 12v supply in there I've forgotten about.

Thanks Space@D. I shall look into building one of those into a box and ridding myself of the hideous cigar lighter plugs and sockets.

Yeah it's quite flexible connector wise. It also has a "hideous cigar lighter" 10A socket on the front if you find you need one too. Though you'll need to use the rear connectors for full rated current draw. The fan's a bit noisy but no more than the fan on a 314L+ & I have 3 x 314's now so the obsy is starting to sound like a server room!! :grin:

Archived