Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pulled the trigger...got my Mesu

pubquiz

I have just managed to get my PC talking to the SiTech on the Mesu :laugh:

The driver wouldn't install and couldn't get any Comm port to work.

I put a question on the SiTech forum and got a response in 4 mins from Don with a link to a driver and it worked :smiley:

The PC is now talking to the mount on Comm 4 .....the up down etc buttons work when clicking on screen.

So that's rung 1 of a very high ladder for me :grin:

I do have one question for the Mesu owners...thought I would post here 1st as I don't know whether it is Mesu related or SiTech related.

When pressing the movement on the 'slew' setting buttons on either the handbox or on screen when released (or stop pressed on screen) the mount 'runs on' for a bit as if when power stops to the motors they 'freewheel' for a while.

Have not got round to how to set different speeds yet but is there a way to make the scope stop instantly when a button is released?

Tom

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it does keep moving and I think it has to slow the servos down in a controlled manner it cant just turn them off.

It did this with both controllers i have had on the mount but you get used to it. Short presses will move it a little bit and its surprisingly controllable.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Ok thanks for that Neil

A shame that though as even my lowly Meade ETX stops instantly you release the button.

I am assuming switching to 'Pan' on the handset once near a star will be easier for centering it but haven't got that far yet in the instructions.

Was going to have a full day playing with it today but noticed last night the exhaust support strap had corroded and snapped on my van so got to get it up on ramps and make a new one of them now :mad:

Tom

I don't think its an issue as its only when you're fast slewing it takes a little while to stop and the eq6 doesn't stop instantly either, thinking about it i wouldnt want any mount to stop instantly from a fast slew not with a c11 on it. When you're centering you can switch the slew speeds to slower speeds for fine control, it's the middle button on the handset (i hit it accidentally and thought the direction buttons hand stopped working but it was just moving incredibly slowly). Obviously with the fine control theres not much overshoot.

You'll get used to it quite easily and it works well.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 years later...

Thanks Guys ....yes I might just be up and running by the time the dark nights are here so don't blame me for clouds Francis as I am not ready yet :laugh:

Neil: Yes it was yours and the other guys like Olly's reports on the Mesu that persuaded me to get it .

Here are some pics showing size next to G11...when I collected the Mesu yesterday it looked smaller than I expected but as you can see it is a fair bit bigger than the G11...the G11 weighs 17kg and the Mesu 27kg

Also some pics of the different motors/encoders.

Tom

Hi Tom,

What's the saddle you used with the Mesu? Thanks.

I can't remember the make of the saddle (just looked and there is no manufacturer on it) it was the one supplied by Modern Astronomy when I bought it.

I also have an ADM side by side dual mount fitted to the saddle.

Sorry can't help more

Tom

It certainly makes you wonder. :wink:

An old thread. I don't have shares in Mesu, Marmite. I don't get a discount there either. Fact.

Just for the record, it's now nearly 2016 and my last post was in 2013. The Mesu has still not dropped a sub to guiding error. Not one. Ever. And that is also a fact. Since I spend a vast amount of Mesu-time imaging with guests who are SGL members you can be sure I'd be brought to book if this were not the case.

I like the Argonavis-Stellarcat arrangement and kick myself for not having bought the last of the line from Telescope Service when they cleared them at a discount. Why do I like them? Oh, just because I haven't ever dropped a sub with the one we have. No other reason. Sorry to be boring.

Olly

nice to hear that Olly.....I haven't done much astronomy for a while now due to various work/health etc reasons but hope to start again soon....still love the Mesu :)

Gnomus: can you post a link to Steve R's guide....not sure I have come across it ....but maybe I have & just forgot :)

Tom

Archived