SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Using a CSC for astrophotography

Hi everyone

I was wondering how effective CSC cameras, e.g. Samsung NX1000 and similar, are for astrophotography? I am planning on buying one regardless but was wondering with its full sized sensor, light body and other DSLR features would it be good for astro imaging?

Many thanks

Hi everyone

I was wondering how effective CSC cameras, e.g. Samsung NX1000 and similar, are for astrophotography? I am planning on buying one regardless but was wondering with its full sized sensor, light body and other DSLR features would it be good for astro imaging?

Many thanks

Hi,

Unless you to wish to image primarily in eyepiece projection mode , with the lens attached, I'd advise you to find out if a) Is there a dedicated T2 adapter available for this camera mount. B) Coutld the camera be used remotely for long exposure via a control software, 60sec plus. c) Do you have manual control over noise reduction and other exposure parameters.

In theory any camera could be used for imaging the deep sky, how good the results will to some extent depend on the above points. Canons are popular because they have support in the above points, Nikons a little less so. Sensor's specral response to narrow band emission of the DSOs is another matter. Hope this helps.

A.G

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone

Many thanks

I do have the NX1000 connected straight to the main optics (no EP projection) using a barlow. You get a t-2 adapter for the NX series on eBay for about £12 but from Fareast (15-20 days lead time)

Disadvantage of the NX1000 is its poor performance with ISO settings above >800. From 1200 it does get extremely noisy. You can do great shots of the half-full to full moon (bright = low ISO) or the sun (filter!!!) but the camera does not respond well on smaller / less iluminated objects incl. Saturn.

I do consider getting a used cheap DSLR off eBay, did read somewhere that the 5yr+ old EOS 550 is alright and you can get it for £150 w/o lens in decent condition.

Archived