Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Slow Moving Object

timtrice

Last night while observing (if I recall correctly) NGC 6531 I caught a relatively bright object moving rather slowly across my FOV from left to right. I say slowly as in it wasn't as fast as even a slow meteor although it seemed a bit quicker than a normal satellite. In addition, the object also contained a slightly reddish tint. I esimated it roughly to be around magnitude 6 or perhaps 7. This was around 10:30 or 11. I did record the observation but I do not have it one me right now for dteails.

My best guess is that it was a very high altitude object (already 1 to 1 1/2 hours of astronomical twilight), either an operable satellite or space junk. I do know that it was in fact a pleasant surprise and a reminder why I enjoy doing this so much.

Yea I'd love to do imaging for that for meteors, asteroids and what-not but I see the other point also. My GF saw a faint meteor streak across the FOV couple nights ago. She's new to this so she was extremely excited.

Yeah, happened to me on a few occasions. The best one's are planes streaking through your eyepeice! Especially through a reflector when they are inverted ! :-) If you know the time, date and rough location, look on Heavensabove.com you might be able to track down what satellite it was ;)

Archived