Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Kelling Heath tips.

sallystar

I've rented a lodge at Kelling Heath for next week and wondered if any of you who have been could give me some tips eg the best places to set up my telescope,

viewing at a dark sky site etc. It will be my first experience of observing at a dark sky sight and I can't believe how excited I am. My friends think I'm mad and maybe they have a point but to me it seems like the best holiday ever :)

I think the cabins are in the trees..... and unsure if there are any that are not. Kelling Heath is a dark site for the star parties but all the lights are on the other weeks for the normal campers etc.

the red field has a good view but dont know how far you would have to carry your kit. I think it best you investigate when you know where your cabin is. you may be

lucky and get one that is suitable to set up outside.

Velvet

My friends think I'm mad and maybe they have a point but to me it seems like the best holiday ever :)

I wouldn't worry about what your friends think. My friends think a good time is flying half way round the globe to stretch out on sand and remain motionless in the hot sun for hours at a time. BTW: nice scope...

My tips would be take some warm clothes just in case it gets nippy, triple-check that you have everything you need to view packed (I'm sure I'm not the only one who has forgotten one key bit when packing in a hurry!) and if you don't have a wide open view from where you are, maybe take a walk up to the red field at one point and enjoy the constellations with the MkI eyeball and perhaps scout a few of the brighter objects with binoculars.

Oh, and don't lock your car keys in the boot and have to go back home to pick up the spare set on a clear night :embarrassed:

I've rented a cabin a number of times for the star party in the Autumn. It will be a bit hit and miss if you will have a plot next to your cabin to set up which has clear skies. I actually went on site before hand and actually chose the cabin that was the best in this respect.

Having said that, depending what equipment you have, it should be possible to find somewhere on the periphery of the site which wont be bothered by lights if your cabin plot isn't suitable.

I'm sure you will have a great time, and if you are still there for 11-13th you will be in a great location for the Perseids of course.

I there 9th until the 16th so hopefully I should catch the Perseids. I have bought a top box for the car so the luggage is going in that and my 200p,tripod and Lunt are travelling with me in the car. It will probably rain for the week but at least I have everything just incase we have clear skies. I may just be lucky :)

I assume that is the voice of experience speaking.

Yes, that will teach me to sling my rucksack in the boot with the keys in it!

Have a nice time, Sally, the site itself is very nice and I'd go there on a normal holiday :) Also if the weather does look bad on a particular night, don't give up hope, things can change really quickly there. Once it completely misted over and I packed away. 10 or 20 minutes later, it was clear again!

Kelling is a fantastic place for a holiday, I did four nights in April this year (star party) . Experiencing a clear dark site sky for the first time will leave you speechless.

I remember being at Kelling before and just sat in my chair looking up for about an hour taking in the view.

There is a playing field next to the red camping field which would give you enough clearance from the trees, but as they say it depends where your lodge is.

If it is clear for the Perseids peak or any day either side you will have a brilliant view.

I was in Norfolk a few years back for the Perseid peak and I managed to see 30 meteors in an hour. I would never get to see that many from home.

Thank you everyone. I will definitely give the Sherringham train a go and pay the Dun Cow at Salthouse a

visit.

I'm so excited as I have only ever seen the sky through the London light polluted sky.

Roll on 9th!

Be ready to see the milky way! You should be able to locate the `Cygnus Rift` this time of year. You might have to be out fairly late though, to ensure the sky is fully dark, but that helps to see the meteors. Luckily for you, the new moon is on the 6th so it shouldn`t be too much of a problem.

We did the train from Sheringham to Holt and it was great fun, we got a steam loco each way, sometimes they have diesels running too. The pool at Kelling is very nice, with

sauna and Jacuzzi. There is cycle hire and outdoor table tennis, plus normal tennis. We had a good laugh playing table tennis at night!

Clear skies and good luck!

when you see the milky way remember to breathe after 10-20 seconds as it literally takes your breath away [much like your first saturn/jupiter ] hope you get some clear sky and have a great time

If you have a planetarium program on your phone it will be very helpful.

There are so many stars visible, it is difficult to identify the constellations. You will also need a compass as although you are on the East Coast the sea is towards the North, very confusing the first couple of times.

Nigel

Archived