Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ride a Solid Rocket Booster

Love this sort of stuff,..... first time I saw similar footage was on CH4 late night 'The Trip' on 4later back in the 90's. It amazes me how 'in synch' the two tumbling boosters are, the disconnection forses to each must be perfectly balanced...... maybe explosive bolts..... Don't know.

A very interesting perspective on a shuttle component. Loved the fact that they filmed one booster landing in the water from one that had just landed. Also, some incredible speeds.... Thanks for sharing KoCS

Love this sort of stuff,..... first time I saw similar footage was on CH4 late night 'The Trip' on 4later back in the 90's. It amazes me how 'in synch' the two tumbling boosters are, the disconnection forses to each must be perfectly balanced...... maybe explosive bolts..... Don't know.

That stood out to me as well, like a pair of synchronised divers in slow motion. The wiki article on the shuttle explains it:

At T+126 seconds after launch, pyrotechnic fasteners released the SRBs and small separation rockets pushed them laterally away from the vehicle.

As you say, the two separation rockets must be very well balanced against each other. They detach at about 150,000 feet. The air is very thin up there, so there is little turbulence to disturb them. After shutting down they climb another 70,000 feet on a ballistic trajectory, reaching a peak altitude of 220,000 feet.

Incredible, have been watching a load of vids and documentaries on Gemini/Apollo and the Shuttle recently, thanks for sharing :)

I have to say my first thought when I saw the thread title though was Kerbal Space Program :)

Archived