Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

Flares

Sorry if this has been gone over a lot, but I have a few questions about Iridium flares.

what kind of mag flare would you expect to see with the naked eye.

Furthermore I have seen a few coming up with a mag between -1.7 to -2.7. What would I need to view them, telescope, binoculars??

If the sky is dark enough, you should be able to see some quite faint flares, not sure on the magnitude though. Anything mag 0 and brighter will be visible to the naked eye, as long as the sky is dark enough. I can't recall what the faintest I've seen is though.

i smoke too much. But everytime im out smoking for more than 5mins at a time i pretty much see at least 1. These are not bright at all sometimes... dimmer than most visable stars. However some that i see get very very bright at times. I just use the binos to view them ive found trying to find them with the scope tricky.

if they get very bright and fade, they're a flare. If they just float across at the same brightness, they are just ordinary sattelites. with the naked eye you'll see them all clearly, esp the 0 downwards, as it were.

Barry

Edited by Bart

if they get very bright and fade, they're a flare. If they just float across at the same brightness, they are just ordinary sattelites. with the naked eye you'll see them all clearly, esp the 0 downwards, as it were.

Barry

Bart,if -8 is about the brightest,would +8 be be its counterpart on the other end of the scale?

Bart,if -8 is about the brightest,would +8 be be its counterpart on the other end of the scale?

Hi Paul

Yes, (+)8 is very dim. I haven't seen +8 quoted but I'm sure they exist. Mind you, I can only see a mag 5.7 star from my garden, which isn't bad, and thats dark adapted in a good sky, so I wouldn't see an 8 flare. When you get into the 'plusses' they're not very impressive, although they would be visible.

I just recently found a mag -5 flare, but you should easily be able to see a mag 0. In fact, theoretically, you could see a mag 5 with the naked eye, but most software doesn't tell you when really faint ones are going to happen. With binoculars, you could see mag 8-9, but I'm not sure if you can really call them 'flares', as I'm not sure if at other times the satellites are as bright

A mag -8 is due to be visible for me at 22:03 tonight - must remember !!!!

Noticed that everything I could see on H_A was mag 0 or brighter.

Wonder if that means they use this as a limit, an arbituary value but why not use that.

I would expect any listed to be visible by simple eyeballs. I can never see the things anyway until they start to flare up a bit so binoculars would be pointless as I couldn't point them at the exact spot until it becomes visible.