2052839955_Mobilephonebanner.jpg.a502a319d7033354d442937f2edd0c2c.jpg

Pocket Sky Atlas Price

jetstream

I just noticed something,the Sky and Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas that I just purchased has 2 prices printed on it.The USA price is $19.95 USD,the Canadian price is $29.95 CDN.Ok that is about 50% higher,I looked up 2006 exchange rates(book has 2006 on all rights reserved page)-the rate averaged 1CDN$=.88USD,so about 12% difference,and since then our dollar bounces around par.So why is this?We have had big price problems here too,ones that don't add up,for a long time.Think about this.....our CDN dollar is par,so then the profit is 50% above the PROFIT they were already making on the USA sales.

I purchased the book on Amazon,free shipping for about $16.00 USD,no State sales tax.Oh yeah,it says inside the cover PRINTED IN CHINA.

But I love the book,it is great.

I purchased a copy three years ago when I got back into the hobby, it states "Printed in the United States of America"

So this is even worse,in the sense that their over seas cost is lower, and if your 3 year old copy was printed in the States, that probably means mine is newer than that,with the exchange rates at par or better with our dollar.And we know Amazon didn't sell at a loss.....The quality of this book is great I might add,no problem with where the item was sourced,thats for sure.I just ran into this same issue with a laptop batery,I tried to buy local,but the same no name battery was around 40% higher than a store in another city and seeing as they bundle ship for cheap shipping rates,that is not an issue.Some Brick and Mortar outlets are actually doing very well,with an internet sales branch.Hold it, just read more fine print on the book.....Printed in China.Fifth printing,2012.I had to get the bigger reading glasses on that one :smiley:.

So this is even worse,in the sense that their over seas cost is lower, and if your 3 year old copy was printed in the States, that probably means mine is newer than that,with the exchange rates at par or better with our dollar.And we know Amazon didn't sell at a loss.....The quality of this book is great I might add,no problem with where the item was sourced,thats for sure.I just ran into this same issue with a laptop batery,I tried to buy local,but the same no name battery was around 40% higher than a store in another city and seeing as they bundle ship for cheap shipping rates,that is not an issue.Some Brick and Mortar outlets are actually doing very well,with an internet sales branch.Hold it, just read more fine print on the book.....Printed in China.Fifth printing,2012.I had to get the bigger reading glasses on that one :smiley:.

Our copy is marked "Second printing, 2006"