Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What's your compass..

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use a simple hikers compass, most mounts and tripods have bubble levels attached; its still a good idea to have spare level in your kit though.

Edit: I use the compass in daylight and at unfamiliar sites.

post-21902-0-30723500-1375112214_thumb.j

I use a simple hikers compass, most mounts and tripods have bubble levels attached; its still a good idea to have spare level in your kit though.

Edit: I use the compass in daylight and at unfamiliar sites.

One feature I like about this compass is the glow-in-the-dark arrows...so day and night night and day use :D :D Is that the Cambridge Star Atlas?

I've been using my phone as a compass, but I'm planning on getting a more specialized one - I'm thinking about this one since it's a well built and very precise as well as has a spirit level :)

$T2eC16V,%21%29UE9s3wCOmbBR9j4Svk%29w%7E%7E60_35.JPG

What's yours?

Regards,

This one looks good.

41zmut2JmEL._SX38_SY50_CR,0,0,38,50_.jpg

I have this one but I think I would've bought the one you mentioned if I didn't have one already. http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One feature I like about this compass is the glow-in-the-dark arrows...so day and night night and day use :D :D Is that the Cambridge Star Atlas?

Glow in the dark would be a nice feature. The chart is from our "Sky Atlas 2000.0 second edition".

hee hee, oky must stop looking at gadgets! just blown all my money on the new scope, although did just notice from the amazon page it says it has a 1/4-inch threaded recess for tripods, so must be able to rig something up! not that I was looking.

hee hee, oky must stop looking at gadgets! just blown all my money on the new scope, although did just notice from the amazon page it says it has a 1/4-inch threaded recess for tripods, so must be able to rig something up! not that I was looking.

It's not ''astronomy'', it's ''astro-money-pit-nomy" :D

I've found I have to stand at least 2 feet behind my 300P to get a true reading from my phone's compass. My Silva compass is affected even worse. No way I could mount anything other than a calibrated ships binnacle to my mount!

I've found I have to stand at least 2 feet behind my 300P to get a true reading from my phone's compass. My Silva compass is affected even worse. No way I could mount anything other than a calibrated ships binnacle to my mount!

That's the main reason I'm after a metal encased compass. Same for me, I found that the phone compass reads most accurate at least 2 feet away from the mount.

Last time I used a compass I was running in an orienteering event....I was a lot younger and a lot slimmer!

Thanks for the memories :D

You'll notice I checked your profile -- couldn't stop my curiosity checking on your age :D :D

If I'm at home, the terrain can guide me to the compass points, anywhere else, if it's the day, I guess based on the position if the Sun, or if it's night, I find polaris, so I rarely actually use a compass

Archived