Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A Meade 18mm 4000 swa or UO 18mm abbé ortho

Hi Dale,

You will probably know the answer to this one better than most as, from your posts on other forums, I believe you have owned both the 24.5mm and 13.8 Meade 4000 SWA's and a number of UO orthoscopics and a couple of Carton plossls which you enquire about in another thread you have just started here.

3 Criterion 6" Dynascopes as well, you lucky chap !

Perhaps you could tell us how these eyepiece designs compare ? :smiley:

For what it's worth, most eyepieces are sharp on axis at F/8 (and other focal ratios for that matter). I found the Meade 18mm SWA was most disappointing off axis though, even at F/10, considering cost, which was not inconsiderable 10 years or so back when they were being sold new.

Thanks John yes I have had Just about Every type of scope or eyepiece So I think the 18mm Uo will be more pleasing On the planets than the Meade 18mm swa Yes I love those rv-6 dynascopes I have had Really 4 of them They are a special scope and I my opinion The best 6f/8 reflector They have ever made dale

I have to ask the question... If you have owned every scope and eyepiece out there AND YOU ALREADY KNEW THE ANSWER, why do you ask these questions?

You would do far better answering questions posted by other to help them out.

Ant

Yes I have to do some comparisons very soon on so many eyepieces that I have I like to how people vary wih there answers on there eyepieces with the kinds of scopes they have A lot of eyepieces do not respond the same with every telescope they may do better than others in different Telescopes I will get some Comparison results Very soon Dale

Dale I have to confess that I have found your posts terribly frustrating. you keep posting these which is best questions when you obviously know the answers. You have knowledge and experience that I can only dream about, so the thought of you actually sharing the knowledge instead of setting these tests I find quite exciting I come onto sgl to learn. Not to do exams so I look forward to hearing about some of your experiences and especially look forward to your comparisons.

• 2 weeks later...

The 18mm UO ortho is sharper all the way to the edge while the Meade 18mm swa 4000 suffers a little on that the eye relief seems more easier with the Otho Than the Meade 18mm swa I prefer the 18mm UO ortho since I can used my 3x tri mag Barlow on it to give me a better view of the planets

Archived