Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

koolam

dark sites in midlands

Hi ,I'm new to this ,was wondering if there are any decent dark sites in the Midlands,and is it possible to see milky way, cheers Lee

Head for snowdonia not far from you, great sky's pm me if your interested

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 2

head west young man. the other side of the long mynd is best but any place away from urban areas will be better

Croeso i Gymru!

You shouldn't actually need to go too far west before things get heaps better.

Cheers

Here's a light pollution map from thread from earlier this month.

Depending on where you live you may not have to travel too far.

I live in Daventry at the moment and a drive of 5 miles down the A361 is enough to transform the skies from poor to very good.

Properly dark places like Wales or Herefordshire are great if you are able to get to them, but you don't need to get too far out of town before you start to see a noticable difference. A 10 mile drive out of town is definitely worth it. From Dudley I would have an explore around the Halfpenny Green area.

Hi, I think there are a few of us in or near Dudley. I've yet to visit any dark sites in the area as I tend to drive down to my parent's in Wiltshire (home comforts and secluded garden!) - but intend to take some drives out with the bins or grab n go scope later in the year. As has been said, you don't need to too far West of Dudley for better skies.

Cheers guys,was just curious about what you could see with the naked eye,might have to have a drive out on a clear night