Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep24_banner.thumb.jpg.56e65b9c9549c15ed3f06e146fc5f5f1.jpg

PlanetGazer

Planisphere, do you use them?

If the wife knew exactly how much I'd spent in the last 18 months, I'd be hanging from the wall by my planisphere's.

• Like 2

I don't think I've ever used a planisphere, started out with elementary astronomy books (Hamlyn, then Observer's) before graduating to Norton's and now the Cambridge Star Atlas.

That's for visual and checking which DSOs might be well placed.

If I'm imaging I'll have CdeC open on my laptop at the 'scope and on my desktop indoors.

I do use it. I wish it was about twice the size.

I do use it. I wish it was about twice the size.

Actually I`ve got three in different sizes. A 5" pocket size, a 10" one with my observatory horizon marked on it, and my main one which is 11.5" which gives a nice large detailed view.

Actually I`ve got three in different sizes. A 5" pocket size, a 10" one with my observatory horizon marked on it, and my main one which is 11.5" which gives a nice large detailed view.

Mine is a 10" one, but would like to have 20" for larger view. Aperture fever is also apparent even in Planisphere world. ;D

• Like 2

Mine is a 10" one, but would like to have 20" for larger view. Aperture fever is also apparent even in Planisphere world. ;D

Must resist the dreaded fever :eek: My 11.5" planisphere will never seem big enough now.

I'm going to drool over some 16" dobs to take my mind off it.

I have one but only use it occasionally in between using stellarium TLAO and Will Tirions star atlas. I do like my old wheel but frequently lose the thing.

. . . . . . . would like to have 20" for larger view. Aperture fever is also apparent even in Planisphere world. ;D

I would like to have a much larger one to mount on the wall, even meter size wouldn't be too large. I wonder if larger sizes were made, for schools etc. ?

Mine hasn't been out of its plastic sleeve for a long, there very good for finding your way around, but that's it....then Stellarium, Telrad maps and Experience are gained its redundant.....

I would like to have a much larger one to mount on the wall, even meter size wouldn't be too large. I wonder if larger sizes were made, for schools etc. ?

I've had an idea. How about getting a poster sized star chart, cut it out, find someone with a giant laminator, laminate it, then cut out a top card to shape, laminate that, join them together and bingo, a giant planisphere.

• Like 1

I've had an idea. How about getting a poster sized star chart, cut it out, find someone with a giant laminator, laminate it, then cut out a top card to shape, laminate that, join them together and bingo, a giant planisphere.

Get a 52" or bigger TV, link it to your PC, then run Stellerium so you see all 4 points of the compass, this will also rotate so North is always at the iop..... :grin:

When I bought my equipment, I also looked for a planisphere to help me find the constellations and to better learn how they are positioned in relationship to each other. I did not find one suitable for my latitude, unfortunately. I think they are very good when wanting to find something particular or planning ahead. Also great for bringing with you when stargazing. By the way, does anyone know where to get one for the 65th latitude? Still looking for one, so if anyone has any idea of where you can get one, it'd be interesting to know.

Clear skies!

/Tobias

When I bought my equipment, I also looked for a planisphere to help me find the constellations and to better learn how they are positioned in relationship to each other. I did not find one suitable for my latitude, unfortunately. I think they are very good when wanting to find something particular or planning ahead. Also great for bringing with you when stargazing. By the way, does anyone know where to get one for the 65th latitude? Still looking for one, so if anyone has any idea of where you can get one, it'd be interesting to know.

Clear skies!

/Tobias

I haven't seen a 65, but found the 60 degrees. I 've read that they can be used for plus/minus 5. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1891938088/skymaps

May I recommend you make your own. This website let you choose the exact latitude and languge, with options of objictes to be included and other options. You can print it and follow the instructions.

http://drifted.in/planisphere-app/app/index.xhtml

I haven't seen a 65, but found the 60 degrees. I 've read that they can be used for plus/minus 5. http://www.amazon.co...1938088/skymaps

May I recommend you make your own. This website let you choose the exact latitude and languge, with options of objictes to be included and other options. You can print it and follow the instructions.

http://drifted.in/pl...app/index.xhtml

Sorry sorry. the first link is for 50-60. I would use the second link and make my own :cool:

"Kepler Scheibe" 100 centimeter diameter Planisphere used for presentations, only 685 Euros, about £590 :shocked:

Check it out at "Intercon Spacetec"

www.intercon-spacetec.de/produkt/produkt/kepler_100cm/

• Like 1

"Kepler Scheibe" 100 centimeter diameter Planisphere used for presentations, only 685 Euros, about £590 :shocked:

Check it out at "Intercon Spacetec"

www.intercon-spacetec.de/produkt/produkt/kepler_100cm/

in trying to get your link to work I found 140cm version, a bargain.

http://www.intercon-spacetec.de/produkte/kategorie/produktkategorie/buecher_sternkarten/produkt/giordano_c_140cm/

I use my planisphere all the time, I find that it keeps the rain out of my eyes when I am holding it up looking at it trying to figure out where those stars are hiding.

Seriously though, it is useful to figure out what constellations are visible at what times of the year and time of night as well as their position. In time you will probably use it less and less.

• Like 1

Use mine quite a bit but also use ipad with goskywatch app. It has a red light display and easy to use, but don't like my ipad getting covered in dew so often still rely on planisphere.