Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Courses in Astronomy

Paranoidsam

I'm seriously interested in the idea of a course in astronomy. But I can't find any available at regular colleges. Universities offer this sort of thing, but they're way out of my league...

Most colleges these days seem to focus entirely on skills and work... I've got friends and family who've studied archaeology at local colleges, yet these courses seem to be unavailable now...

Oxford University has a 'Continuing Education' Faculty which runs short Astronomy Courses with one or two lectures a week in the evening. They are for interested general public rather than undergraduates.

Perhaps your local University does something similar?

Open University do astronomy courses at various levels too, something I looked in to but they changed the fee structuring so it's way out of my league now. Good if you have the money spare though, good luck :-)

Yeah it was all online the one I did with an end of module assessment that you submit online. I found it very interesting and gave me a taste of whether i'd be capable of doing a degree at home. But with 2 kids I just can't afford the time at the minute but maybe in a few years.

The open university is very good. I'm doing a degree in natural sciences, taking the physics route. Luckily I managed to get the transitional fees which means that I get to pay the original prices before the government thought it was a good idea to raise fees. This means it will cost me around £6000 over six years to complete my degree. If I were to start now without the transitional fees it would cost over £21,000! But if you live in Scotland or Wales then you can continue to study at the original prices.

The good thing with the OU is that you can open a budgeting account where you can pay for your fees via a monthly direct debit. It's well worth it though and even more so if you live in Scotland or Wales.

Besides the cost, my main issue is that there don't seem to be any "non-vocational" courses available these days. Everything is work related... there are no "leisure courses" anymore, and I find that very disappointing. Online learning is fine, but I'd much prefer to actually go to a college and learn along side others with similar interests...

I don't know if they are still running but I did an excellent course in astronomy with UCLAN. It involved marked practical exercises such as HR Diagrams and calculating sidereal time via observation. Good fun.

The open university is very good. I'm doing a degree in natural sciences, taking the physics route. Luckily I managed to get the transitional fees which means that I get to pay the original prices before the government thought it was a good idea to raise fees. This means it will cost me around £6000 over six years to complete my degree. If I were to start now without the transitional fees it would cost over £21,000! But if you live in Scotland or Wales then you can continue to study at the original prices.

The good thing with the OU is that you can open a budgeting account where you can pay for your fees via a monthly direct debit. It's well worth it though and even more so if you live in Scotland or Wales.

They are good. The residential schools were fun too. I went down the Natural Science with Environmental Science route to finish off my degree after I ran out of money at full-time Uni.

Archived