Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My Balcony Micro Observatory

astrovirus

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, the light at the end of the tunnel is coming into sight. This week, I pulled 3 active USB cables through the data pipe, which prove more of a problem then I had anticipated beforehand, but in the end with a little help we managed. Then I also wanted to get the EQdit cable in, which also succeded with some effort. I also place the NEQ6 mount on the pier and leveled it, and then came the moment of thruth, to see if the observatory would properly close with the OTA fitted. And it did, so I did my homework, measurements, and building properly to my specs. First Light is approaching now, although I still have to do a lot of tiny things around and in the observatroy. Also the control PC will have to be installed at the inside of the balcony/window wall, so I'll have to install a mounting for that, as well as configuring the PC, as I have decided to swap my old PC for another oldie, that has a much smaller footprint. However this means installing XP pro again with its 111 updates and after that getting all my astronomy software up and running again, with some nice new additons to start experimenting with (AT plate solving and maybe after that FocusMax autofocusing).

post-6675-0-94364200-1410590933.jpg

Observatory closed as seen from the roof of our shed.

post-6675-0-91387000-1410590945.jpg

Mount installed on the pier.

post-6675-0-70810600-1410590955.jpg

OTA installed.

post-6675-0-71344900-1410590967.jpg

Everything fits like intended.

LOMO is alive. Yesterday I got around to instal the rest of the equipment and started to prepare the control PC with the much needed software. All connections between software and equipment are up and running, so I'm nearing "first light". However, before that, polar aligning will prove somewhat of a challenge as I have almost no view of the Northern sky and Alignmaster strongly favors starpairs with a component in the Northern sky. So I'll probably will also try the polar alignment help in AstroTortilla, or EQalign to perform polar alignment. Images of the completed setup will follow in the coming days, as there is still some cable mess to sort out on the observatory floor.

So, finally managed to take some images to show the latest progress.

post-6675-0-63472000-1411836762.jpg

Control PC ready for action on polar algnment tonight. On the right is a simple weather station to monitor temperature and humidity in the observatory when not in use.

post-6675-0-68531100-1411836838.jpg

Another view of the control unit with the imaging equipment ready for action in the background. The PC is attached to the monitor stand so it has a nice small footprint.

post-6675-0-79818100-1411836917.jpg

Camera mounted, with all needed cables/hub.

post-6675-0-03218500-1411836947.jpg

Finder guider and main data cable.

post-6675-0-46587000-1411836989.jpg

Outdoor sensor of the weatherstation mounted on the lower casing of the observatory. In the background, some of the polystyrene isolation I'm in the process of installing is visable.

• 3 weeks later...

So, finally a clear night without any other obligations, so spent some time on polar aligning the NEQ6 using AstroTortilla Polar Alignment tool. Despite having read some bad experiences with this tool, I have to say it worked out rather well to get my mount reasonably polar aligned without having any views of polaris from my balcony. Also using Alignmaster proves difficult as it has a preference for N-S star pairs and I have hardly any view towards the Northern skies. With a couple of itterations AT now reports my altitude error as 48' (coming from 5°) and my azimuth error was around 2-3' so I left that alone. Plate solved corrected goto precision is now spot on and I already tested shooting 5 minute guided subs with no problems. Looks like LOMO is now truly getting ready for a serious first light.

• 10 months later...

After a question from one of the forum members about how everything is running, I thought it would be good to share my first 3 images made from the balcony observatory. I think the results speak for them self with regard to thermal and/or vibration issues.

NGC5371_Hickson68_DSLR-LLRGB-2015-1500px

NGC5981-82-85-2015-1500px.jpg

NGC6914-2015-1500px2.jpg

• 2 months later...

Archived