Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon guide book

Does anyone know of a good moon guidebook? I mean, something more than an atlas - something that leads you to the interesting things / features / transient phenomena? Turn Left at Orion has a section on the moon that is the sort of thing I mean - but I'm looking something a bit more detailed, or just more features.

Does anyone know of such a book?

I have both Moon books by Peter Grego and Gerald North, as prviously mentioned and can recommend them both :)

I had been looking at those; but it's nice to have a recommendation. I do prefer books, cos you can read them in the field.

and if you like zoomable maps this one beats them all , zoom in from 16,000 metres per pixel to 0.5 metres per pixel , see the craterlets inside the craterlets inside the craterlets in Plato .... :Envy:

http://target.lroc.asu.edu/q3/

That's an impressive site! Gobsmacking!

Does anyone know of a good moon guidebook? I mean, something more than an atlas - something that leads you to the interesting things / features / transient phenomena? Turn Left at Orion has a section on the moon that is the sort of thing I mean - but I'm looking something a bit more detailed, or just more features.

Does anyone know of such a book?

"Discover The Moon" is a great nightly guide covering 14 observing sessions based on the moons phases. It presents two photos for each region; the left hand page for refractors and catadioptric scopes, and the right hand page for views as seen through reflectors.

Edit: Click on photos to enlarge.

post-21902-0-90542700-1375007963_thumb.j

post-21902-0-48605500-1375007973_thumb.j

The "Rukl Atlas Of The Moon" in my opinion, is the difinitive guide. Its out of print and expensive, however there is a pocket size version which is almost identical in format and content, and can be found for much much less; its called "Moon Mars and Venus".

Edit: Both books are by Rukl.

post-21902-0-62942900-1375009104_thumb.j

post-21902-0-62540900-1375009203_thumb.j

Have you considered "The Hatfield Photographic Lunar Atlas". It is available in hardback or paperback format. (I would have preferred it if it was spiral bound though)!

The "Rukl Atlas Of The Moon" in my opinion, is the difinitive guide. Its out of print and expensive, however there is a pocket size version which is almost identical in format and content, and can be found for much much less; its called "Moon Mars and Venus".

Edit: Both books are by Rukl.

I used to have a copy of "Moon Mars and Venus" and then I donated it to my local astro society library and it gets taken out from time to time by members.

Archived