Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DIY binocular servicing question

bri

Hi, I received a free pair of 2nd hand binoculars (prism variety). When I had a look through them, I was getting 2 images. Is it possible to collimate these easily before I contemplate any fiddling? Can all binoculars be collimated? One of my friends has the same problem with his too. Wouldn't mind having a go if its not going to be too problematic. Bri. ....why can I not start new sentences or paragraphs when I press enter. It does nothing?....

It depends on their quality.

You remove the eyepieces..then the back covers.

If the prisms are mounted with screws such as swift ones you can fiddle and by trial and error with a lot of patience get them lined up.

If they are cheap ones then its more challenging and involves using stuff to prop the prisms at the right angle etc..

Good luck.

Mark

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

Sorry that you misunderstood but I don't have an issue with the fact that they are out of alignment as they were given to me for free. I was just inquiring whether it is worthwhile for me to attempt re-alignment. Bri

They do look like cheap ones Mark. Made by Halina, 7x30s. Its just a bit of tinkering and doesn't really matter if it doesn't work out, just wanted a go at it as well as see how it works inside but I would ask on here first as their was bound to be someone with experience. I will have a play to see whats what. Thanks.

That's great Paul I will definitely have a proper read through when I get a chance. There looks to be some informative stuff there so thanks.

It's definitely worth a go if you have the time.

I have done it on three different cheap binoculars. The first was an old 8x30 which required the objective to be loosened and then twisted round on an eccentric washer thingy (bit technical but stay with me!). After quite a long time I did make then fully usable, although they were never perfect as I would knock them out a bit when doing up the objective.

Second was a pair of Liddl 10x50s whch turned out to have prism adjustment screws both ontop and under the prism housing (had to peel off rubber grip and re-glue it later. Again this was fiddly but made easier by projecting the sun onto a white card marked with the correct positions and haveing the bins on a tripod. This also worked out well (although those bins never kept the collimation for very long) Bit like this method

https://sites.google...n-of-binoculars

Last of all was an old set of russian 10x50's which I dropped and knocked the prism out of alignment. These had no easy way of adjustment so in the end I just unsrewed the objective lens barrel and pushed the prism around with my finger! This actually worked reasonably well and made them usable again!

Have fun!!

Archived